“I was stunned,” he said. His heart was full, and he didn’t really have the words to describe how it felt to be on the receiving end of a gesture so thoughtful, so needed and so appreciated.
“It was a real empathetic gesture on their part,” said Dolphin. “It made me feel good that people care in this state. It was really just amazing that people care about hardship and you find out that there is a really strong sense of family, not just in your school or community but outside as well.” When the email came, Dolphin didn’t think of the kindness Grand County had shown Kamas two years ago. When reminded of it, he said, “When you do good things for people, often it comes back to you when you least expect it. We didn’t expect anything like that from anyone in the state. It was a huge surprise.”
Parker said enduring life-altering tragedy as a team changes everyone. It puts everything in perspective — even the game that brings them together.
“Sometimes we get so caught up in that game and we think it’s so important, and it’s just a game,” he said. “It’s something the community can do together. We get so wrapped up in state championships and winning games that when you have a tragic accident, you realize, holy heck, we need to be better to each other and to our families.”
The game isn’t the most important thing.
It’s all the little things like sacrifice, commitment and being our best (on and off the field) that make the games magic.
- BYU basketball: 3 players record...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- LDS general authorities make appearance at...
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up just...
- Utah Jazz: A few slices of holiday spirit...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's prep roundup
- Utah Jazz: Comparisons inevitable between...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 183
- BYU football: Cougar offense rebounds... 84
- Utah football: Utes end season with... 76
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 65
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 56
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 55
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 48