Amy Donaldson: South Summit repays a kindness to Grand in time of tragedy
“I was stunned,” he said. His heart was full, and he didn’t really have the words to describe how it felt to be on the receiving end of a gesture so thoughtful, so needed and so appreciated.
“It was a real empathetic gesture on their part,” said Dolphin. “It made me feel good that people care in this state. It was really just amazing that people care about hardship and you find out that there is a really strong sense of family, not just in your school or community but outside as well.” When the email came, Dolphin didn’t think of the kindness Grand County had shown Kamas two years ago. When reminded of it, he said, “When you do good things for people, often it comes back to you when you least expect it. We didn’t expect anything like that from anyone in the state. It was a huge surprise.”
Parker said enduring life-altering tragedy as a team changes everyone. It puts everything in perspective — even the game that brings them together.
“Sometimes we get so caught up in that game and we think it’s so important, and it’s just a game,” he said. “It’s something the community can do together. We get so wrapped up in state championships and winning games that when you have a tragic accident, you realize, holy heck, we need to be better to each other and to our families.”
The game isn’t the most important thing.
It’s all the little things like sacrifice, commitment and being our best (on and off the field) that make the games magic.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big 12...
- Former BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy undergoes...
- BYU Cougars looking for opening-game...
- BYU starting cornerbacks Jordan Johnson,...
- First steps: Utes open season with 56-14 win...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 60
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- NFL cuts tracker: Former Cougars... 50
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 45