Balancing act: Don't let concerns about 'First World problems' upset your balance
Or will one of our vehicles give up the ghost completely, as they both approach 100,000 miles?
I worried about this endlessly the other day, starting at every unexpected click or clank I heard throughout the house. But somewhere around the thousandth time, I stopped and gave myself a mental slap in the face.
Yes, I thought, these are some unexpected expenses and annoying little problems. But in the grander scheme of things, how lucky am I to face challenges like these?
Can I really complain that my huge television needs to be replaced when I have two other TVs in the house and considering I have access to TV at all?
Should I get upset about minor car repairs when I'm fortunate enough to have two vehicles that work quite well most of the time and that safely deliver me and the people I love to work, school, church and meetings with family and friends?
Shall I fret about the possibility that one of our other appliances could break, when for many people the dishwasher and clothes washer in the house are not machines, but rather the people who do those jobs?
When it comes right down to it, I'm incredibly blessed. I have a good job that allows me to use some of my skills and talents to find personal fulfillment and earn a living. Even better, that job leaves me enough time at the end of the day to be with my family and friends and actively work toward my goal of building work-life balance.
And as for those family and friends, well, I think I've got the best anyone could ever hope to have.
So while I may grumble about my "First World problems" from time to time, I'll try to keep them in a bit better perspective from now on.
After all, I can always go to my in-laws' house to watch football. Isn't that right, Ray and Kathy? Please?
- Should cash be part of your emergency fund?
- 3 reasons Utah is a great place for students
- Why the CEO of the Container Store pays...
- Top 10 insurance myths that people think are...
- Should you install your own kitchen cabinets?
- How to take the scare out of the cost of...
- Today's must-read faith and family stories
- Most popular Halloween costumes
- Why the CEO of the Container Store pays... 9
- Americans still prefer male bosses 8
- Landlords may be charging pet fees just... 7
- 9 things we routinely overpay for 6
- Employers and job seekers might as well... 5
- Pay raises are more rare despite strong... 4
- Facebook is now helping its female... 4
- Egg freezing is now a perk of the... 4