Man tries to steal police car and 'go fast,' officers say
SALT LAKE CITY — A man accused of stealing a police car allegedly told officers he was going to "get in and go fast."
Friday morning, Salt Lake police were called to the area of 1560 S. Main. While police were questioning a person in another case, Timothy Markham, 30, ran around the front of a squad car to the driver's door, according to a Salt Lake County Jail report.
"He pulled on the handle a couple of times," said Salt Lake Police Sgt. Robin Heiden.
Fortunately, the officer had locked his door.
Markham was arrested for investigation of attempting to steal a police car. According to the report, he told officers, "I was going to get in and go fast."
Markham was charged with misdemeanor drug possession in July, according to state court records. He was also convicted on two drug-related charges in 2010 that were amended from felonies to misdemeanors.
— Pat Reavy
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- 'Our lives have been better for having her,'...
- Utah family's adoption of Ethiopian girl...
- Ogden home burglarized while family attends...
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as national...
- Landslide remediation plans emerge amid...
- How do I know if I'm ovulating?
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 68
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as... 34
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage... 33
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 29
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 27
- GOP plans to sue over Count My Vote... 23
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 20
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah... 20