When I say strawberries and cream cheese, you probably think strawberry cheesecake, but this rich and moist strawberry bread is sweet and delicious — you may change the way you view dessert.
I have been accused of being a noisy cook. I bang mixing spoons on the side of bowls, I slam cupboards, and I love to use my hand chopper. I see the television cooking show chefs and their fancy super-fast chopping techniques and I know that when I’ve tried it, I end up needing to buy more Band-Aids. I use my hand chopper because I get easy, uniform and safe chopping. And that’s important when you’re making something as special as this decadent summer treat.
My strawberry cream cheese bread has loads of sweet fresh strawberries. They are all chopped and mixed into a creamy and tangy batter, and when the aroma wafts through the house, I know that I’m in the middle of a wonderful summer day.
Belle’s Strawberry Cream Cheese Bread
½ cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup buttermilk
1½ cups strawberries, chopped
Grease and flour a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan or line with wax paper. In an electric mixer cream butter, sugar and cream cheese until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Mix in vanilla. In separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in the flour mixture with butter mixture just until blended. Add buttermilk and only stir until just combined; do not over mix. Carefully fold in strawberries. Spoon the batter into loaf pan. Bake in a 350°F oven for 50-60 minutes. Let it cool for at least 15 minutes before removing from pan.
Brenda Stanley is the mother of five children, including two sets of twins, and a grandmother of three. She is a cookbook author and novelist. Her website is at talesofthedinnerbelle.com.
- What 'shared parenting' is and how it can...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Parenting around the...
- Creators of Love Taza blog encourage...
- UTubers: Redhead Express covers 'I Knew I...
- RootsTech 2016 a 25,000-member 'studio audience'
- Figuring out why teens turn to pornography
- What it's like for a dad to raise a fencing...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Losing weight with the...
- Figuring out why teens turn to pornography 13
- As 'Sesame Street' debuts on HBO, some... 2
- What 'shared parenting' is and how it... 2
- UTubers: Utah native stars as Sandy in... 1
- Amy Choate-Nielsen: Father's... 1
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Losing weight... 1
- Tangy orange shrimp dish that's quickly... 1
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Parenting... 1