Here's how Utah colleges avoided steep enrollment drops after Mormon missionary change
Utah Valley University
Whitney Wilkinson, spokeswoman for Utah Valley University, said UVU is looking at a drop in enrollment between 7 and 8 percent, or roughly 2,100 to 2,500 students. She said that drop in enrollment can be partly attributed to the improving economy – as a growing job market pulls students away from the classroom – but the largest effect appears to have been the LDS missionary requirement changes.
"That's kind of the lion's share of where that decrease is coming from," she said.
Salt Lake Community College
Joy Tlou, spokesman for Salt Lake Community College, said the school's enrollment was 26,912 on Thursday, but that number was expected to fluctuate during the first weeks of the semester. That figure is a 1.5 percent dip from last fall – or roughly 300 students – but it is unclear if that change can be attributed to LDS missions as SLCC's average student age is 26.
"It could be explained by the economy, it could be explained by a number of things," Tlou said of the enrollment numbers.
Pamela Silberman, spokeswoman for the Utah System of Higher Education, said the official fall enrollment figures will not be available until early October. Until that time, she said, officials are not able to definitively state the impact on enrollment and tuition revenue in the state.
But she added that preliminary reports from schools suggest that state-wide, the drop in enrollment has not been as severe as projected.
"System-wide the enrolments are not decreasing as much as our projections showed, which is a good thing," she said. "Until we really have third-week numbers we can't do any real analysis on the situation."
Figures for the University of Utah were not available.
- Funeral services for President Boyd K. Packer...
- Photo gallery: Journey headlines 35th Stadium...
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- Doug Robinson: Utah's Glen Hanson has had an...
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- Minor earthquake shakes southern Utah town
- Man saves 8-year-old sister-in-law from...
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 64
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 42
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 39
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 24
- Utah senators seeking support for... 16
- My view: Utah lawmakers can protect... 13
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in... 12
- Rubio, Christie planning sleepover with... 12