Breaking down the in-state rivalries in 2013: Utah State at Utah
Editor's note: This is part one of a three-part series regarding the FBS matchups of the 2013 Beehive State college football season.
Utah had won 12 straight against USU in the series. It hadn't looked and felt like a rivalry for years. This fact was compounded with the Utes headed to the Pac-12 and the Aggies only having one more year in a depleted WAC. Nobody in Salt Lake thought a Utah-Utah State game would be a contest.
Then Gary Andersen pulled magic out of his visor.
Last year's game in Logan was sloppy, intense and laced with drama. Utah quarterback Jordan Wynn got knocked out of the game for good. Utah State never trailed. John Hayes almost rallied the Utes to victory but came up glaringly short. The little brother sprung the upset and stunned the Utes in the first overtime game in the 100-plus-year-old series.
It was quite memorable overall. The Aggies used the victory to springboard themselves to an 11-2 finish while the Utes just missed bowl eligibility.
Sam McConkie is a technical and professional writing graduate from Utah State University. EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former Cougar...
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share...
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU filled...
- Red-hot Utah Jazz enter the danger zone
- Rock On: Jabari's guide to Utah
- High school wrestling: Perennial powers...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to assist...
- Utah football: Delshawn McClellon announces...
- Utes drop heartbreaker at Oregon State,... 103
- Cold-shooting BYU loses stunner to... 67
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake hired... 33
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 33
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 29
- Cougars regrouping, going back on the... 24