Breaking down the in-state rivalries in 2013: Utah State at Utah
Editor's note: This is part one of a three-part series regarding the FBS matchups of the 2013 Beehive State college football season.
Utah had won 12 straight against USU in the series. It hadn't looked and felt like a rivalry for years. This fact was compounded with the Utes headed to the Pac-12 and the Aggies only having one more year in a depleted WAC. Nobody in Salt Lake thought a Utah-Utah State game would be a contest.
Then Gary Andersen pulled magic out of his visor.
Last year's game in Logan was sloppy, intense and laced with drama. Utah quarterback Jordan Wynn got knocked out of the game for good. Utah State never trailed. John Hayes almost rallied the Utes to victory but came up glaringly short. The little brother sprung the upset and stunned the Utes in the first overtime game in the 100-plus-year-old series.
It was quite memorable overall. The Aggies used the victory to springboard themselves to an 11-2 finish while the Utes just missed bowl eligibility.
Sam McConkie is a technical and professional writing graduate from Utah State University. EMAIL: email@example.com
- Class of 2015: Utah high school athletes with...
- Dick Harmon: Sonny Detmer's bloodline about...
- Christian Stewart writes final chapter on...
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why OU...
- Jazz not expected to be a major player (or...
- Reports: Jackson Vroman found dead
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake Heaps'...
- Tyler Haws to play with Cleveland Cavaliers...
- Amy Donaldson: Former BYU QB Jake... 48
- Morning links: Fox Sports discusses why... 39
- Morning links: New BYU commit's late... 31
- Dick Harmon: BYU's retired AD Glen... 25
- NBA draft: Utah Jazz select Trey Lyles... 22
- NBA draft: Utes' Delon Wright selected... 17
- Upstill: Does Trey Lyles have what it... 16
- Jazz not expected to be a major player... 13