Breaking down the in-state rivalries in 2013: Utah State at Utah
Editor's note: This is part one of a three-part series regarding the FBS matchups of the 2013 Beehive State college football season.
Utah had won 12 straight against USU in the series. It hadn't looked and felt like a rivalry for years. This fact was compounded with the Utes headed to the Pac-12 and the Aggies only having one more year in a depleted WAC. Nobody in Salt Lake thought a Utah-Utah State game would be a contest.
Then Gary Andersen pulled magic out of his visor.
Last year's game in Logan was sloppy, intense and laced with drama. Utah quarterback Jordan Wynn got knocked out of the game for good. Utah State never trailed. John Hayes almost rallied the Utes to victory but came up glaringly short. The little brother sprung the upset and stunned the Utes in the first overtime game in the 100-plus-year-old series.
It was quite memorable overall. The Aggies used the victory to springboard themselves to an 11-2 finish while the Utes just missed bowl eligibility.
Sam McConkie is a technical and professional writing graduate from Utah State University. EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Utah Jazz legend John Stockton, Weber State...
- Red and Blue Recruits: An inside look at...
- These 14 Utahns reminded us why we love...
- Hill, Whittingham meet after football...
- Brad Rock: Memo to Utes: Get your act together
- Injury-riddled BYU set to host WCC powerhouse...
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave Christensen...
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not going...
- Wild one: Memphis edges BYU in... 174
- Sitake, Tuiaki leaving Utah for Oregon... 117
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in free-for-all... 97
- Utah offensive coordinator Dave... 74
- Brad Rock: Bowl drama shows BYU not... 61
- Dick Harmon: Cougar bowl loss kind of... 59
- Miami Beach Bowl ends in brawl between... 52
- Both BYU and Memphis to review bowl... 52