Breaking down the in-state rivalries in 2013: Utah State at Utah
Editor's note: This is part one of a three-part series regarding the FBS matchups of the 2013 Beehive State college football season.
Utah had won 12 straight against USU in the series. It hadn't looked and felt like a rivalry for years. This fact was compounded with the Utes headed to the Pac-12 and the Aggies only having one more year in a depleted WAC. Nobody in Salt Lake thought a Utah-Utah State game would be a contest.
Then Gary Andersen pulled magic out of his visor.
Last year's game in Logan was sloppy, intense and laced with drama. Utah quarterback Jordan Wynn got knocked out of the game for good. Utah State never trailed. John Hayes almost rallied the Utes to victory but came up glaringly short. The little brother sprung the upset and stunned the Utes in the first overtime game in the 100-plus-year-old series.
It was quite memorable overall. The Aggies used the victory to springboard themselves to an 11-2 finish while the Utes just missed bowl eligibility.
Sam McConkie is a technical and professional writing graduate from Utah State University. EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- BYU offense offers sneak peek for fans in...
- Utah football: Quarterback Kendal Thompson...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 109
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 32
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 31
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 27
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 21
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 20