Utah missionary dies after being hit by car in Malaysia
SALT LAKE CITY — A Utah man serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints died Sunday after being hit by a car while riding his bike in Kuching, Malaysia, church officials said.
Elder Jason Reid Wiberg, 19, of Roy, had been serving as a full-time missionary in the Singapore Mission since October 2012, LDS Church spokeswoman Ruth Todd said.
"We are deeply saddened by Elder Wiberg's passing, and our thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and fellow missionaries during this difficult time," Todd said.
In a statement released by Elder Wiberg's parents, Reid and Janice Wiberg, they said his missionary work will continue in life after death.
"Jason's organs were donated for transplant so he can continue to help and be with the people of Malaysia he so dearly loved," his parents said.
Elder Wiberg was traveling home on his bicycle after appointments Saturday evening when he was hit by the car, his parents said. His missionary companion immediately gave first aid before paramedics arrived and took him to a hospital.
He was then transferred to a larger hospital to be treated, according to the family statement. Despite excellent care, his condition worsened.
Elder Wiberg's parents said they want to express appreciation for all those who have been praying for their son.
"We all hoped for a miracle yet are comfortable with the knowledge and accept that God has other plans for Jason at this time," they said in a statement.
They also thanked Elder Wiberg's companion and medical staff who helped their son.
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an...
- Utah native served with main character in...
- Chugging eggnog at office party lands man in...
- Utahn Merlin Taylor is Santa with a cause
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- West High basketball players work to debate...
- Bountiful family receives early Christmas...
- Pranks spark collection of toilet paper by...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 106
- A year later, a look at the Utah... 101
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary... 35
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on... 33
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 22
- What does a letter grade mean for my... 19
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 16