SARATOGA SPRINGS — One person remained in critical condition Monday morning after the Jeep he was in rolled multiple times in Israel Canyon Sunday, a crash that also injured three others.
Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Spencer Cannon said two men and two women were driving down the canyon in a topless Jeep Wrangler near Saratoga Springs on narrow switchbacks about 5:30 p.m. when driver, Dawn Lynn Grochowski, 52, of Saratoga Springs, lost control of the Jeep. The car went off the road and rolled several times down a rocky slope, stopping upside down about 50 feet below, he Cannon said.
Trevor Nielson, 36, of Saratoga Springs, had serious head injuries and was taken by helicopter to University Hospital, Cannon said.
"We are investigating alcohol," he said. "There was evidence at the scene that alcohol may be involved."
Grochowski was arrested and booked in Utah County Jail on suspicion of a DUI-Injury Accident, a Class A misdemeanor. Cannon said he would not characterize the road as dangerous but that motorists should use caution when driving in Israel Canyon.
"If you're not careful, then these kinds of things can happen," he said.
— Emilee Eagar
- Recreation, crowds and challenges: What's...
- Stolen Dodge Charger no match for Hurricane...
- One year later: Slow movement on slide repairs
- Prison inmates start hunger strike, demand...
- About Utah: He never yelled, but he sure did...
- Teen girl killed in Millard County crash
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- Expunging criminal records expected to help...
- IRS commits to not target tax-exempt... 49
- Jury orders Siegfried and Jensen to pay... 38
- Prison inmates start hunger strike,... 36
- Salt Lake County cities, school... 17
- Teens arrested, rancher cleared after... 12
- Salt Lake police looking for horses,... 10
- Survey: Utah residents want crops, not... 10
- National report shows high overall... 9