SARATOGA SPRINGS — One person remained in critical condition Monday morning after the Jeep he was in rolled multiple times in Israel Canyon Sunday, a crash that also injured three others.
Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Spencer Cannon said two men and two women were driving down the canyon in a topless Jeep Wrangler near Saratoga Springs on narrow switchbacks about 5:30 p.m. when driver, Dawn Lynn Grochowski, 52, of Saratoga Springs, lost control of the Jeep. The car went off the road and rolled several times down a rocky slope, stopping upside down about 50 feet below, he Cannon said.
Trevor Nielson, 36, of Saratoga Springs, had serious head injuries and was taken by helicopter to University Hospital, Cannon said.
"We are investigating alcohol," he said. "There was evidence at the scene that alcohol may be involved."
Grochowski was arrested and booked in Utah County Jail on suspicion of a DUI-Injury Accident, a Class A misdemeanor. Cannon said he would not characterize the road as dangerous but that motorists should use caution when driving in Israel Canyon.
"If you're not careful, then these kinds of things can happen," he said.
— Emilee Eagar
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- Take a breather: 5 memorable ways to pamper...
- 10 of the most unusual laws in Utah
- Man hit, killed by FrontRunner train in Provo
- Youth volunteers plant 3,000 flags at Sandy...
- Man charged with threats of terrorism,...
- Riverton man arrested in 'unique' display of...
- Man found shot to death in Cottonwood Heights...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 113
- Salt Lake's next skyscraper? Proposed... 25
- Sen. Hatch set to tour Utah's national... 18
- Provo forum to explore roles of family,... 17
- Skateboarder dies after being shot in... 11
- Medical marijuana debate focuses on... 10
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become... 8
- San Juan County Commissioner appeals... 8