OREM — A Pleasant Grove man has been booked into jail after 22-year-old Ashlee Zimmer was killed in a hit-and-run accident early Sunday morning while sitting on the curb across from her home.
Ramiro Serrano Hernandez, 26, was arrested and taken to jail after fleeing the scene and being found by a police dog several blocks away hiding behind a Dumpster, Orem Police Lt. Craig Martinez said.
Martinez said earlier Saturday that Hernandez had been cited by police for being drunk and disorderly. Although he had alcohol-related charges in the past, Martinez said Hernandez had a valid driver privilege card.
"He was at a wedding, I guess causing a problem," Martinez said. "He had been drinking."
Hernandez is being held in the Utah County Jail for investigation of automobile homicide, driving under the influence and leaving the scene of an accident, Martinez said.
Zimmer was struck by a Jeep Cherokee at 844 N. 100 West about 1:30 a.m. Sunday while sitting behind her husband's car, Martinez said. She died from her injuries after being transported to a nearby hospital.
"I don't even think she knew what hit her," neighbor Toni Dickson said.
The vehicle, heading north on 100 West, had crossed the road, clipping the parked car before hitting Zimmer and then crashing into the back of a building. Martinez said the driver tried to back up and then hit the building again.
Zimmer's husband, who was inside their home, ran out after hearing the crash and found his wife pinned under the vehicle, Martinez said. The couple had been married about four months, and Zimmer was beginning a career in cosmetology.
"A lot of lives were changed because someone decided to get behind the wheel of a vehicle while they'd been drinking," Martinez said.
Brianna Jarvis, a friend of Zimmer's, put flowers and lit candles at the scene of the crash.
"I just can't believe that it was her," she said. "She was one of the best people, good to my sister, good to my nieces and nephews."
Jarvis said it's hard to comprehend what happened to her friend but said "at least she's in a better place and she can watch over us."
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsPolitics
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts in...
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting program...
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of Mormon'...
- With Boston out, another Salt Lake Olympics...
- Which U.S. cities are the best for upward...
- Wright Words: Younger sister is living...
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling on...
- About Utah: Thousands served by one good idea
- LDS Church relationship with Boy Scouts... 178
- LDS Church 're-evaluating' Scouting... 86
- Mike Lee plotting tricky maneuver to... 85
- Profane and acclaimed: 'The Book of... 62
- Does secret southern Utah meeting mean... 52
- Most Utahns oppose Supreme Court ruling... 48
- Lee takes on new strategy in fight... 36
- Is report on building prison in Draper... 35