Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
When RSL earned a draw off RSL rookie Cole Grossman's final-minute heroics against Portland at Jeld Wen Field Wednesday night, the momentum was palpable. The boys in Claret and Cobalt had just lost a whopper against Robbie Keane, er L.A., and fans couldn't help but hold their breath that the excellent streak of play for RSL this season might be entering a down patch.
But Jason Kreis' young team knows how critical momentum is going into the final two months of the season, and whether by sheer will, confidence or the blessing of youth, Saturday night belonged to RSL. As it should have, most analysts would say, with Columbus struggling to dig itself out of the Eastern Conference cellar and into the playoff picture.
Real Salt Lake would have none of that on its pitch, though. RSL dominated possession from the opening kick — almost 70 percent for the night — and Javier Morales was superb in the final third, keeping possession and setting up goals. It was his free kick in the 46th minute that led to arguably Kyle Beckerman's easiest goal of his career. RSL poured in three more goals from Devon Sandoval, Luis Gil and Beckerman again against a clearly frustrated Columbus team that continues to spiral out of the playoff picture.
Chris Higbee is the general manager of DeseretNews.com and occasionally writes about Real Salt Lake.
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Rio Olympic organizers unveil village where...
- Agent: LeBron James to skip Rio Olympics
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 137
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 57
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 31
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 30
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 17
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 16
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15