USU football: Dave Ungerer expects good things on special teams and at running back in 2013
“Being new, it’s a little bit hard to say, but I feel like our depth is fairly good. Looking at personnel in our depth chart on special teams, we’ve got a solid two-deep, which is a good luxury to have. We can rest some of our starters here and there which is a good thing.”
What will it take for special teams to be effective and successful this season?
“The biggest thing for us is trying to control field position. That’s a combination of our kickers and punter and coverage teams. We have to give the defense a really long field to play on, and in the return game, give our offense a short field. If we can execute on kickoff coverage and get the defense started making the other team have an 80-yard drive, I feel like we’ve done our job. “
What are your impressions of the team as a whole heading into the last week of practice before the Utah game?
“I’m really impressed. We have some really outstanding players. I think the thing I’m more impressed with though is the attitude out here and how hard the kids work every day. They’re focused and they practice really well. The tempo has been high and the intensity has been good. When you work that hard, I think success is right around the corner.”
Megan Allen writes and works for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- BYU Football: Harvey Jackson bolsters BYU's...
- Surviving the unthinkable: Utah lineman who...
- Forget Kaepernick, Taysom Hill should be...
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay forever
- Utah football notes: Utes picking up the tempo
- Bingham kicker commits to Utah after...
- BYU football: Baker Pritchard discusses...
- BYU football: Cougars land commitment from...
- Bingham kicker commits to Utah after... 78
- BYU football: Cougars land commitment... 56
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay... 53
- CougarLinks: Former Cornhusker... 50
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 37
- Utah football: Utes are eager to pick... 33
- BYU Football: Harvey Jackson bolsters... 23
- Dick Harmon: QB Ammon Olsen's move from... 14