A warning to parents: Older men seeking young girls on Web is increasing
Children often are more savvy with electronics today than their parents, Oxman said. Parents not only need to know about Facebook and Twitter and monitor their kids' activity frequently, but they need to be educated about other popular forms of communication such as Snapchat and even online gaming.
"I was an idiot when it came to that," Huddleston said. "I had to learn the really hard way. But you can bet your bottom boots, I'm going to be as loud of an advocate for letting people know what these things are and for better Internet safety."
Snapchat, she said, already has been banned in her house.
Huddleston said she plans to interact with Indica every day about her social media activity, and she's also going to start limiting the time she spends on Facebook and other social media outlets.
"Teenagers are going to have that curiosity just as a normal part of being a teenager," Oxman said. "And I'm sure most teenagers think, 'Nothing bad will happen to me,' which is certainly just a teen mentality. So (it's important to help) them understand that they're getting into very risky territory."
Most teens see or hear about the glamour of sex in the movies, TV or in popular music, but "the consequences are never shown on Facebook," Layton said. "You just don't see that. You don't see it in the media. It's all wonderful, positive things.
"You can't go out and have sexual relations and not have it affect you in some way, especially girls," he said.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence of...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Driver in DUI crash that maimed 11-year-old...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- Got an emergency? You can now text 911 in 3...
- In this case, wild horses drag them together
- Many questions remain in shooting death of...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 29
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 12
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 9