Inspired by their defensive stand, Delta began marching the ball downfield with a mixture of traps and dives. However, by this time a light rain had begun to fall in Morgan, and the ball seemed to get a little slippery. After moving the ball into Trojan territory, Kale Leavitt fumbled the ball after a tough run, and Morgan's Murdock recovered the ball.
Two plays later, Morgan fumbled the ball right back. Once again, the Rabbits were unable to capitalize on the good field position, and punted the ball back to Morgan. After a long run by Kade Carrigan and a nice pass reception by Murdock, Morgan was knocking on the door once again. Delta's defense rose to the occasion, and held Morgan to what appeared to be a field-goal try on 4th-and-goal at the 8 yard line. However, the fake was on and back up quarterback Tyler Kelsey stood up and fired a pass to a wide open Murdock, which brought the score to 28-0 after the PAT and the competetive phase of the game was largely over. Morgan tacked on a late 14 yard touchdown run by Jake Peterson to make the final tally 35-0.
"Overall, we're pretty pleased," remarked Christiansen after the game. "We had a little help from a penalty or two and a fumble or two. There are some things we'll need to shore up and work on." The coach was also quick to credit his opponent for a game effort: "I give Delta a lot of credit. They've got tough kids and we knew they'd keep playing." However, Morgan's line-by-platoon approach was successful on this night, as Morgan dominated the stats sheet, outgaining Delta in total yards 418-253, including 266 yards on the ground.
Morgan next faces historic rival South Summit in Kamas on Friday, August 30 while Delta will visit Millard.
Chris is a graduate of the University of Utah and Santa Clara Law School, is a father of four, an avid fly-fisherman, and announcer of many Morgan High School sports events. Email him at: email@example.com.
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- 4A boys basketball for 2014-15 season
- Utah high school boys basketball season previews
- High school boys basketball: 3A team-by-team...
- High school boys basketball: 2A team-by-team...
- High school boys basketball: Only 2 defending...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's roundup
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment, commits...
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- High school football: Bingham accepts... 17
- High school football: Defense, big... 16
- High school football: Timpview... 8
- High school boys basketball: Junior... 5
- High school football: American Fork's... 3
- High school football: Dixie defense... 1
- High school boys basketball: 5A... 1