Ben Brewer, Deseret News
Austin Kafentzis was given some sad news Friday morning when he was told that his grandma had passed away.
In Jordan's season-opening 40-12 victory over Fremont, he started the game out shaky by fumbling in the red zone but made up for it by throwing two touchdown passes and rushing for two more.
Kafentzis not only had a good offensive game, he made some great plays on the other side of the ball from his safety position.
"It was my first interceptions of my high school career," Kafentzis said.
Kafentzis started slow in the first half of play as his team struggled to pull away from Fremont, due in large part to turnovers in the first half.
The first points of the game came after Kafentzis sparked the team by snagging his first interception of the game, then Clay Moss had a 12-yard touchdown run to get the first points on the board. After that Jordan touchdown drive, Fremont's Parker Preator returned the kickoff 90 yards to tie the game.
The first half ended in a 6-6 tie.
Despite a tie at the half, Jordan head coach Eric Kjar held back on the halftime speech, instead letting Kafentzis lead.
"Austin was calm and went to the others and told them to calm down" Kjar said. "Sometimes it's better to hear from him than us (coaches)."
The second half was a different story. The first play of the half, Kafentzis threw a deep ball to Connor Bollingbroke as the Beetdiggers took a 13-6 lead. Kafentzis wasn't done. He went and scored a 20-yard rushing touchdown to further extend the lead.
Kafentzis had some help as Bollingbroke broke a 48-yard touchdown to put the game out of reach for Fremont. Clay Moss finished off the game with a 2-yard touchdown which put an end to the scoring.
"I played for my grandma," Kafentzis said.
- Band of brothers: Murray football players...
- High school football: Corner Canyon's Branden...
- High school football: Royals rock Grizzlies...
- High school football: Herriman gashes...
- Gustin's aerial assault lifts Salem Hills to...
- Parry's Power Guide for week 5
- High school sports: Saturday's roundup
- Twin brothers lead Timpview to Region 8 match...
- High school football: Herriman gashes... 15
- High school football: Corner Canyon's... 9
- High school football: Skyline's big... 4
- Parry's Power Guide for week 5 2
- American Fork rolls past Westlake in... 2
- High school football: Felt's Facts for... 1
- High school football: Riverton rolls... 1
- High school football: Rich Rebels... 1