Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
WILLARD, Box Elder County — Search and rescue crews are looking for a man missing at Willard Bay after his water craft was found riderless Friday.
Brigham Bradley, a 33-year-old Weber County sheriff's corrections officer, was off duty and riding a personal watercraft with friends when his machine tipped over and stalled, Utah State Parks Lt. Eric Stucki reported.
The group was about 300 yards off shore when Bradley went into the water. He managed to climb back onto the machine and seemed fine when his friends returned to the marina to pick up a rope to tow him in, Stucki said.
When they returned about 10 minutes later, they found the craft drifting about a half-mile from where they left it and Bradley was gone, Stucki said.
Bradley was not wearing a life jacket, Stucki said.
A Clinton resident, Bradley works as an EMT in the Weber County Jail medical unit.
The group reported Bradley missing about 2 p.m. Search teams from the Weber and Box Elder county sheriff's offices, along with Utah State Parks, were patrolling the lake by boat and on jet skis while a helicopter kept a lookout from the air Friday afternoon.
Windy weather, choppy water and murky conditions were complicating the search. Crews were relying heavily on radar technology.
Other teams were also searching the shoreline in case Bradley had been pushed ashore by the wind and waves, Stucki said.
Searchers ended their efforts about 8:30 p.m. when darkness fell, after carefully searching a 100-yard area where the jet ski was located. They will resume their search 7 a.m. Saturday with five boats and cadaver dogs.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Utah crafting rules for spending on water,...
- Utah city condemns Confederate flag display...
- Another first: Utah caretaker contracts Zika...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Payson to hold hearing on proposed tax increase
- UDOT plans to upgrade Redwood Road in...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 27
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 14