Health care worker charged with stealing elderly woman's money
NORTH OGDEN — A 20-year-old home health care worker assigned to take care of an 86-year-old woman has been charged with stealing the woman's money.
A warrant was issued Wednesday for Lauren Hunsaker on charges of exploitation of a vulnerable adult and theft, both third-degree felonies.
Hunsaker was given access to the elderly woman's ATM cards and PIN numbers to help her to buy groceries and other small necessities. She began working for the woman in January.
But just two weeks later, the woman's family contacted police to report $1,900 was missing from two credit union accounts, according to court documents.
Court records show Hunsaker was convicted of an amended charge of attempted unlawful use of a credit card, a third-degree felony, and unlawful use of a credit card, a class B misdemeanor, in 2012.
She was given probation but then served jail time after violating her probation. Hunsaker was also convicted on another case of unlawful acquisition of a credit card, a third-degree felony, later that year.
In addition, she was convicted of disorderly conduct, a class C misdemeanor, in a separate 2012 case, and misdemeanor trespass in yet another case in 2012, according to court records.
It was unknown Friday whether the victim's family conducted a background check before hiring her as a home health care worker.
— Pat Reavy
- Feds: Utah companies accused of conducting...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he...
- 107 years of Grace: Cedar City resident still...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Police identify body found on Ben Lomond...
- Families of 3 missing persons ask for...
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds, high...
- New barriers, other security measures to...
- 200 gather at Utah Capitol in support... 47
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 32
- Carson tops new poll of Utah voters 30
- Feds: Utah companies accused of... 21
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds,... 16
- Man fighting for custody of daughter... 15
- Utah GOP, state appear headed to court... 12
- A new approach: What the poor can teach... 8