Health care worker charged with stealing elderly woman's money
NORTH OGDEN — A 20-year-old home health care worker assigned to take care of an 86-year-old woman has been charged with stealing the woman's money.
A warrant was issued Wednesday for Lauren Hunsaker on charges of exploitation of a vulnerable adult and theft, both third-degree felonies.
Hunsaker was given access to the elderly woman's ATM cards and PIN numbers to help her to buy groceries and other small necessities. She began working for the woman in January.
But just two weeks later, the woman's family contacted police to report $1,900 was missing from two credit union accounts, according to court documents.
Court records show Hunsaker was convicted of an amended charge of attempted unlawful use of a credit card, a third-degree felony, and unlawful use of a credit card, a class B misdemeanor, in 2012.
She was given probation but then served jail time after violating her probation. Hunsaker was also convicted on another case of unlawful acquisition of a credit card, a third-degree felony, later that year.
In addition, she was convicted of disorderly conduct, a class C misdemeanor, in a separate 2012 case, and misdemeanor trespass in yet another case in 2012, according to court records.
It was unknown Friday whether the victim's family conducted a background check before hiring her as a home health care worker.
— Pat Reavy
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on statute...
- High school student found dead near Draper...
- 14 things you didn't know about dreams
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away drought
- Teen injured in Memorial Day crash dies
- Vernal man accused of beating puppy with a bat
- Ex-teacher who abused students asks judge not...
- We're not in Utah anymore — photos of...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 42
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on... 39
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 25
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away... 24
- Grantsville residents tell Prison... 23
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 17
- Salt Lake City leaders announce... 15