Murray man charged with abusing disabled girlfriend
MURRAY — A Murray man has been arrested and charged with abusing his disabled girlfriend.
Gordon Gene Kinsman, 49, was charged Wednesday in 3rd District Court with aggravated abuse of a vulnerable adult, a second-degree felony.
Murray police were called to a domestic violence situation between Kinsman and his girlfriend, who is blind, on Aug. 16, according to charging documents. Kinsman is also the woman's registered caregiver. When officers left, Kinsman "became enraged," according to charging documents.
The Salt Lake County District Attorney's Office did not know Friday what the circumstances were surrounding the officers' first visit to the apartment or why the two were allowed to remain in the apartment together.
The woman said she is forced to sleep on the floor when Kinsman is angry at her. This time, after police left, he also "repeatedly kicked her" and told her to "die and jump off the porch," according to court documents.
Kinsman told the woman he "did not want to see her ugly face" and forced her to sit outside her third-story apartment on the front steps so she would "feel what it's like to be homeless," court records state.
The woman eventually went back inside the apartment, but Kinsman put a bunch of pills in her hand told her to take them and kill herself or he would throw her off the balcony, the charges state. He then punched and shook the woman until she swallowed some of the pills, according to the charges.
About an hour later, the woman complained of feeling ill and said she needed to go to the hospital. Instead, Kinsman "grabbed her by the throat and strangled her," according to court documents.
A protective order for the woman was issued against Kinsman on Monday.
An initial appearance in court is scheduled for Tuesday.
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to...
- BYU student parlays app idea into a life-changer
- Security, firefighters detain woman...
- Sandy man gets prison time in $1.5 million...
- New Salt Lake fire chief caught in political...
- Larry H. Miller family pulls Tooele County...
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after...
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's refusal to...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 43
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 33
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 22
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 20
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 17
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 15
- Mayor responds to pending harassment... 14
- BYU student parlays app idea into a... 12