Murray man charged with abusing disabled girlfriend
MURRAY — A Murray man has been arrested and charged with abusing his disabled girlfriend.
Gordon Gene Kinsman, 49, was charged Wednesday in 3rd District Court with aggravated abuse of a vulnerable adult, a second-degree felony.
Murray police were called to a domestic violence situation between Kinsman and his girlfriend, who is blind, on Aug. 16, according to charging documents. Kinsman is also the woman's registered caregiver. When officers left, Kinsman "became enraged," according to charging documents.
The Salt Lake County District Attorney's Office did not know Friday what the circumstances were surrounding the officers' first visit to the apartment or why the two were allowed to remain in the apartment together.
The woman said she is forced to sleep on the floor when Kinsman is angry at her. This time, after police left, he also "repeatedly kicked her" and told her to "die and jump off the porch," according to court documents.
Kinsman told the woman he "did not want to see her ugly face" and forced her to sit outside her third-story apartment on the front steps so she would "feel what it's like to be homeless," court records state.
The woman eventually went back inside the apartment, but Kinsman put a bunch of pills in her hand told her to take them and kill herself or he would throw her off the balcony, the charges state. He then punched and shook the woman until she swallowed some of the pills, according to the charges.
About an hour later, the woman complained of feeling ill and said she needed to go to the hospital. Instead, Kinsman "grabbed her by the throat and strangled her," according to court documents.
A protective order for the woman was issued against Kinsman on Monday.
An initial appearance in court is scheduled for Tuesday.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Prosecutors 'stand down' and drop criminal...
- Screaming, shouting and Utah's in the middle...
- Utah crafting rules for spending on water,...
- Utah city condemns Confederate flag display...
- Fire destroys Taylorsville home, damages another
- Another first: Utah caretaker contracts Zika...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Screaming, shouting and Utah's in the... 64
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 29
- Prosecutors 'stand down' and drop... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16