At such sales you get to wander the house and pick out things that interest you, and often they aren’t marked with any price. This woman I know and her daughter were at such a sale and going through some things in a bedroom when they began to wonder about the people who once called that home. It was as if time had been frozen and now people had been invited to come in and pick over all their earthly possessions. Photos were on display and it looked as if someone had been living there just days before.
The woman’s daughter found a ring she liked and decided to ask how much it was. It was in another part of the house, however, that this woman and her daughter met a kind elderly woman who looked just like the photos of the woman in the bedroom. She interacted with them and they realized that she was not a ghost and eventually came to the conclusion that this was an estate sale that was different than others they had been to. They had failed to mark that some rooms in this estate sale were off limits.
They went outside to discuss what to do with the stolen ring and hatched a plot to do a reverse burglary to return it. Within seconds the felony was undone and they went away grateful that they had turned from a life of garage sale crime before it really got started.
I liked staying at that luxury resort, but it was expensive. We can’t afford to do it on a regular basis. We have considered waiting until my father drives away in a stolen car and then holding an estate sale. That would be risky, however. That woman and her daughter might still be out there. It’s probably best that I just count my blessings and realize how lucky I am to have been married to a very smart woman for 30 years and to be grateful I’m not in jail.
Steve Eaton lives and works in Logan, Utah. He can be reached at Eatonnews@gmail.com
- 2015 summer festivals and celebrations around...
- Disney's 'Tomorrowland' is a surprisingly...
- Photos: Thrill seekers take on stunt-filled 5K
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay adults not...
- It's 'trauma season' in Utah for children
- U.S. marriage rate hits new low and may...
- 21 things to look forward to at Disneyland's...
- Why exposing your children to another...
- Boy Scouts' leader says ban on gay... 168
- Erin Stewart: Why do men want 'strong'... 14
- Clinton says childcare needs to be a... 10
- U.S. marriage rate hits new low and may... 8
- Disney's 'Tomorrowland' is a... 5
- Report: Millennials in Utah mirror... 5
- 100 deadly days of summer: What you... 4
- Why exposing your children to another... 3