What's new: 'A Beginner’s Guide to Talmage' shares teachings from Elder James E. Talmage
“A BEGINNER’S GUIDE TO TALMAGE: Excerpts from the Writings of James E. Talmage,” compiled by Calvin R. Stephens, Deseret Book, $14.99, 339 pages (nf)
Elder James E. Talmage wrote several books that are still read and studied, including “Jesus the Christ” and “Articles of Faith,” which Mormon missionaries use to help prepare to serve missions.
Elder Talmage, who served in the Quorum of the Twelve from 1911 until his death in 1933, also wrote several other books on principles and doctrines of the gospel of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, at times under the direction of the First Presidency.
In “A Beginner’s Guide to Talmage,” Calvin R. Stephens has compiled topical teachings from several of Elder Talmage’s books, including “Jesus the Christ,” “Articles of Faith,” “The House of the Lord,” “The Great Apostasy,” “The Parables of James E. Talmage” and “The Story and Philosophy of Mormonism,” and his conference talks.
It’s arranged in 12 chapters, starting with the plan of salvation, and each chapter is divided into several topics. Each quote or book excerpt has a summary phrase to help quickly navigate the teachings. Each one is clearly sourced with page numbers of the original source for more study.
The chapters also include his teachings on the godhead, Jesus the Christ, the Atonement, mortal probation, Satan, church government, principles and ordinances of the gospel, missionary work, scriptures and “Responsibilities of the Covenant People.”
It’s a way to study Elder Talmage’s works and books bit by bit without having to delve into each book or to find teachings on a particular topic across his books for those ready for deeper study.
This will be one in a series of similar books with “classic material from beloved writers,” according to Deseret Book.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: CTRappleye
- Temple Square hosts New Year's EVE events
- Creators of 'Saratov Approach' to release...
- Hundreds of Mormons sing Christmas carols in...
- What's new: 'Jesus the Christ Study Guide'...
- Wright Words: My friend David is Christian,...
- Hamblin & Peterson: Getting ready to study...
- Reader voices: Choosing my reflection
- 'Unbroken' billed as faith-based film, but...
- Religious freedom and economic growth... 20
- Creators of 'Saratov Approach' to... 16
- This is what going to church does to you 11
- Wright Words: My friend David is... 9
- It's a 'Christmas break' for many, but... 6
- How churches can attract younger people 6
- Hundreds of Mormons sing Christmas... 5
- Why congregation size matters when it... 2