Poole is one of the fastest guys on the team. He was on Saddleback College’s school-record 4x400 relay squad and was a three-time track letterman at Cimarron Memorial High School in Las Vegas.
Football, though, is his true love. He said he’s from a football family and the game comes naturally to him.
“I’ve been waiting on this all my life,” Poole said of his opportunity to play at Utah. “After not being able to come here from high school, having to go to a juco, I’ve been waiting on this moment my whole life, so I’m ready.”
Poole has overcome his share of hurdles. When he was just 1 year old, a bullet ricocheted through the side of his stomach and exited through his thigh while he was in his cradle. The shot reportedly occurred during a struggle over a gun that was brought into his family home by two men believed to be after his father’s car.
“Yes, sir. I’ve been taking some hits,” he said. “That’s true. It’s pretty rough back in Vegas; a lot of people don’t know that.”
Now, in less than one week, Poole will take the field and do something he always knew he could do.
“I’ve been working real hard and I’ve just been waiting on my opportunity,” Poole said. “So I’m just trying to make the most of it.”
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 90
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 74
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 45
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34