Geoffrey McAllister, Deseret News Archive
SALT LAKE CITY — Taking a cue from Salt Lake City's Downtown Farmers Market, organizers of the University of Utah Farmers Market are adding a "veggie valet" to the weekly market held on campus at the Tanner Plaza.
The market will be held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. each Thursday, beginning Aug. 29.
“The market was started as a way to increase access to fresh, local produce and raise awareness of health-related campus services,” said Jen Colby, farmers market committee co-chairwoman, said in a prepared statement. “In addition to goods sold by local farmers and artisans, campus garden student volunteers sell organic produce grown and harvested on campus. You can’t get any more local than that.”
In a new feature this year, customers will be able to store their purchases in coolers provided by University Dining Services until they are ready to leave campus. The so-called "veggie valet" is intended as a way to make the market more accessible to campus community.
"We hope this change makes it more convenient for students, faculty and staff, who may be on campus for hours at a time, to take advantage of the farmers market,” said Katie Hunt, market co-chairwoman.
In addition to the veggie valet, the University of Utah Farmers Market accepts food stamps and provides a secure bicycle valet for riders.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- 7 habits of mentally strong people
- 'None of it matters': Family grateful after...
- 'Catastrophic' arson fire destroys 10 Tooele...
- West Valley man killed in motorcycle crash...
- Applications being taken for justice court...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 16
- Can police-community relations be... 14