Screenshot Herrin Twins Facebook Page
In a clip that aired on Oprah’s, “Where They Are Now” show Sunday, formerly conjoined twins Kendra and Maliyah Herrin of Salt Lake City giggled as they talked about life seven years after their 26-hour separation surgery.
“We play Barbies together,” said Maliyah in the clip.
“No we don’t,” Kendra responded.
“Yeah. She just doesn’t want to admit it,” Maliyah said smiling.
The girls are now 11 years old and are “healthier than ever, but prone to infections because of the titanium rods in their backs,” according to their mother, Erin. Kendra and Maliyah have surgeries to straighten their spines every six months.
“(The surgeries) stink,” said Maliyah, “and they reek,” Kendra finished. They both said they miss seeing their dog during their surgeries.
The twins keep themselves active and attend physical therapy daily. They said they enjoy swimming, jumping on the trampoline and being with friends. They face their physical challenges with optimism.
“Kendra and Maliyah are so HAPPY!! They have so many people that love them so much. Their smiles light up a room,” Erin wrote on the family blog, Herrin Twins.com. “They have taught me so much about being who I need to. And taking one day at a time. It took them years to recover from their separation surgery, and it takes them sometimes weeks to recover from other surgeries and sicknesses. They take everything in stride and they move forward.”
Kendra and Maliyah have an older sister, 13, as well as 7-year-old twin younger brothers.
- 3 Utah mothers to compete in U.S. Olympic...
- Linda & Richard Eyre: The romance of restraint
- Stress, chocolate and loneliness: How...
- Sherry Young: Can we go from snow sliding...
- Valentine's Day is the day to see loved ones...
- Free marriage check-up clinic offered at...
- Erin Stewart: To my husband on Valentine's Day
- The Clean Cut: Video of mom-and-baby workout...
- If Splenda gives Swiss rats cancer,... 6
- Valentine's Day is the day to see loved... 2
- Doris Kearns Goodwin: 'Tell and retell... 1
- Erin Stewart: To my husband on... 1
- Sherry Young: Can we go from snow... 1
- The heart of the matter: What your... 0
- Motherhood Matters: How to manage... 0
- The Clean Cut: New trailer for... 0