Screenshot Herrin Twins Facebook Page
In a clip that aired on Oprah’s, “Where They Are Now” show Sunday, formerly conjoined twins Kendra and Maliyah Herrin of Salt Lake City giggled as they talked about life seven years after their 26-hour separation surgery.
“We play Barbies together,” said Maliyah in the clip.
“No we don’t,” Kendra responded.
“Yeah. She just doesn’t want to admit it,” Maliyah said smiling.
The girls are now 11 years old and are “healthier than ever, but prone to infections because of the titanium rods in their backs,” according to their mother, Erin. Kendra and Maliyah have surgeries to straighten their spines every six months.
“(The surgeries) stink,” said Maliyah, “and they reek,” Kendra finished. They both said they miss seeing their dog during their surgeries.
The twins keep themselves active and attend physical therapy daily. They said they enjoy swimming, jumping on the trampoline and being with friends. They face their physical challenges with optimism.
“Kendra and Maliyah are so HAPPY!! They have so many people that love them so much. Their smiles light up a room,” Erin wrote on the family blog, Herrin Twins.com. “They have taught me so much about being who I need to. And taking one day at a time. It took them years to recover from their separation surgery, and it takes them sometimes weeks to recover from other surgeries and sicknesses. They take everything in stride and they move forward.”
Kendra and Maliyah have an older sister, 13, as well as 7-year-old twin younger brothers.
- 5 underrated Disney movies
- A father's bucket list: 10 things I want to...
- The top 10 dream colleges in 2015
- Wyoming ranked third in US in percentage of...
- Motherhood Matters: When there is nothing...
- Lexi Hansen forgives driver who hit her (+video)
- The Clean Cut: Time-lapse video captures...
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney, Jimmy Fallon...
- 'Maternal feminists' defend motherhood... 54
- What makes marriage hard? These 5... 18
- 5 underrated Disney movies 17
- The Clean Cut: Mitt Romney, Jimmy... 9
- Teens may be even more distracted... 4
- What accounts for the cinematic... 3
- The Clean Cut: BYU students' video... 2
- Teen chefs compete in state cooking... 2