Tick, tick, tick.
Did you score 100 percent on that test?
If you did, my hat is off to you for your knowledge and roster skills.
Point being, BYU has often had to go the salad route with quick fixes and gambles on returning missionaries.
In the past 14 years, BYU has produced just three all-conference cornerbacks. They were Brian Gray (1999), Jernaro Gilford (2001) and Corby Eason (2011 as an all-independent).
It’s been tough to find four-year corners. Only one was in the same four-year caliber as Jordan Johnson and that was Gilford, a corner on that 12-2 team in 2001.
Who were the corners in 2006? Justin Robinson and Ben Criddle.
How about 2007? Kayle Buchanan and Criddle.
And 2009? Brian Logan and Brandon Bradley.
Again, not a knock on those noble souls, but BYU played decent defense, sometimes outstanding defense, with talent at corner that was not Jordan Johnson.
Just a thought as one thinks about the BYU cornerback storyline, which has become one of the top drama points since Kyle Van Noy took things into his own hands and the Cougars left San Diego with a win over the Aztecs last December.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of 3-pointers,...
- High school boys basketball: TJ Haws' career...
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- David Stockton, son of John, saves the day...
- High school boys basketball: Underdog...
- Dick Harmon: Kyle Collinsworth's career game...
- High school boys basketball: Bountiful...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 83
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 67
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 57
- Doug Robinson: Time to move on for... 43
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- CougarLinks: BYU picked to win WCC... 28
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26