Gold iPhone: Why Apple looks to go golden with its new device
Nati Harnik, Associated Press
The official announcement isn’t expected until Sept. 10, but in recent days increasingly credible sources have confirmed that gold will join black and white in the iPhone color spectrum.
“With the speculation moving from unsubstantiated rumor into the zone of credibility as manufacturing ramps up and the product launch nears, it appears that Apple CEO Tim Cook will unveil a gold or champagne-colored iPhone 5S,” CNET editor in chief Dan Farber reported. “Several sources are confirming the gold-toned iPhone 5S will be part of the September 10 event.”
Some of the compelling reasons for Apple to produce a gold iPhone include:
Enhanced popularity in China and India: USA Today’s Jefferson Graham wrote, “The addition of gold would not be a big deal here, but ‘huge’ in China, says Tim Bajarin, an analyst at Creative Strategies. ‘The market is driven by colors, and gold means prosperity,’ says Bajarin.”
Style points for trendsetting: “By creating a gold iPhone, what Apple will be looking to do is set a new fashion,” Matt Baxter-Reynolds wrote for tech website ZDNet. “They were the ones who created a desire for silver and glass, now the objective is to sell gold and glass as the must-have combination. Remember, Apple is a fashion brand, not a technology brand.”
Gold is a relatively easy color to produce when anodizing aluminum: CNET’s Eric Mack reported, “According to Ally Kazmucha, an editor for the (iMore website) who also works for a company that anodizes colors onto iDevices as an after-market service, gold is among the easiest colors to bling out an iPhone. An easily gilded iPhone could be a flashy selling point for an iPhone 5S otherwise lacking in flash and major new innovations.”
- Condoleezza Rice and Jenny Oaks Baker release...
- We're doing youth soccer wrong: Stop yelling...
- Time for an assessment of the year in movies...
- Tiffany Gee Lewis: The books that change us
- Beat the heat: 33 free splash pads in Utah
- UTubers: Lexi Walker sings 'America the...
- Matching 'the majesty': Tuacahn Amphitheatre...
- 4 ways to guarantee your kids will have a...
- Does Shakespeare still have a place in... 10
- Condoleezza Rice and Jenny Oaks Baker... 9
- UTubers: Vocal Point director, mom... 4
- Where are all the good Fourth of July... 4
- An 'all-American tradition': Fourth of... 3
- Time for an assessment of the year in... 3
- We're doing youth soccer wrong: Stop... 3
- UTubers: Lexi Walker sings 'America the... 2