ST. GEORGE — Investigators believe two people arrested early Wednesday are connected to a recent string of 10 burglaries and nearly $20,000 in stolen property.
Malory Jacobs, 19, and Robert Wharton, 34, were arrested and booked into the Washington County Jail for investigation of multiple counts of receiving stolen property, possession of burglary tools, possession of methamphetamine, and possession of drug paraphernalia.
A little after 6 a.m., police were called to a suspicious vehicle driving slowly near the maintenance shed of the St. George Golf Club. There was also a report of a person walking in the area wearing all black, said St. George police Sgt. Sam Despain.
Responding officers found Jacobs and stopped her for questioning. In her vehicle, investigators found televisions, power tools, golf clubs, camping gear, compressors and other items, Despain said.
The recovered property was determined to have been stolen over the past week from at least 10 locations — mostly businesses — and worth between $15,000 and $20,000, he said.
The car was registered to Jacobs, who was arrested a short time later.
Despain said it's rare to recover that much stolen property from so many businesses, as most times it is pawned off or sold on the streets after a week. Despain did not know what the suspects intended to do with the stolen items.
One of the burglarized places was a Boy Scout trailer that contained a lot of camping equipment, he said.
Jacobs was charged in May with felony drug possession in 5th District Court and is scheduled to go to trial in November. She also took a plea in abeyance in July to misdemeanor shoplifting, according to state court records.
Wharton was charged with two counts of misdemeanor retail theft Monday in Washington Justice Court.
- LDS Church names Elder Clayton new senior...
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit filed by...
- New Salt Lake County ordinance mandates pet...
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason polygamy...
- Boston-bound airline pilot from West Jordan...
- SUU mourns loss of aviation instructors...
- Farr West woman found dead in home, foul play...
- BYU student injured in bounce house accident...
- Chaffetz expected to announce he's... 55
- It's official: Jason Chaffetz to make... 40
- Gun control laws won't stop mass... 33
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 29
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 24
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 16
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 15
- State says it will fund Planned... 14