ST. GEORGE — Investigators believe two people arrested early Wednesday are connected to a recent string of 10 burglaries and nearly $20,000 in stolen property.
Malory Jacobs, 19, and Robert Wharton, 34, were arrested and booked into the Washington County Jail for investigation of multiple counts of receiving stolen property, possession of burglary tools, possession of methamphetamine, and possession of drug paraphernalia.
A little after 6 a.m., police were called to a suspicious vehicle driving slowly near the maintenance shed of the St. George Golf Club. There was also a report of a person walking in the area wearing all black, said St. George police Sgt. Sam Despain.
Responding officers found Jacobs and stopped her for questioning. In her vehicle, investigators found televisions, power tools, golf clubs, camping gear, compressors and other items, Despain said.
The recovered property was determined to have been stolen over the past week from at least 10 locations — mostly businesses — and worth between $15,000 and $20,000, he said.
The car was registered to Jacobs, who was arrested a short time later.
Despain said it's rare to recover that much stolen property from so many businesses, as most times it is pawned off or sold on the streets after a week. Despain did not know what the suspects intended to do with the stolen items.
One of the burglarized places was a Boy Scout trailer that contained a lot of camping equipment, he said.
Jacobs was charged in May with felony drug possession in 5th District Court and is scheduled to go to trial in November. She also took a plea in abeyance in July to misdemeanor shoplifting, according to state court records.
Wharton was charged with two counts of misdemeanor retail theft Monday in Washington Justice Court.
- Was pregnancy rumor a factor in killing of...
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS church...
- Father says daughter was stabbed 46 times
- Missing oilfield worker's body found near Vernal
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Teen accused of killing 15-year-old makes...
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 87
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 60
- Federal government extends same-sex... 40
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 29
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 24
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 20
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 17
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 16