ST. GEORGE — Investigators believe two people arrested early Wednesday are connected to a recent string of 10 burglaries and nearly $20,000 in stolen property.
Malory Jacobs, 19, and Robert Wharton, 34, were arrested and booked into the Washington County Jail for investigation of multiple counts of receiving stolen property, possession of burglary tools, possession of methamphetamine, and possession of drug paraphernalia.
A little after 6 a.m., police were called to a suspicious vehicle driving slowly near the maintenance shed of the St. George Golf Club. There was also a report of a person walking in the area wearing all black, said St. George police Sgt. Sam Despain.
Responding officers found Jacobs and stopped her for questioning. In her vehicle, investigators found televisions, power tools, golf clubs, camping gear, compressors and other items, Despain said.
The recovered property was determined to have been stolen over the past week from at least 10 locations — mostly businesses — and worth between $15,000 and $20,000, he said.
The car was registered to Jacobs, who was arrested a short time later.
Despain said it's rare to recover that much stolen property from so many businesses, as most times it is pawned off or sold on the streets after a week. Despain did not know what the suspects intended to do with the stolen items.
One of the burglarized places was a Boy Scout trailer that contained a lot of camping equipment, he said.
Jacobs was charged in May with felony drug possession in 5th District Court and is scheduled to go to trial in November. She also took a plea in abeyance in July to misdemeanor shoplifting, according to state court records.
Wharton was charged with two counts of misdemeanor retail theft Monday in Washington Justice Court.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Store decor company to expand in Cedar City
- Utah State aviation student dead after plane...
- Twila Van Leer: My nomination of 3 Mormon...
- Sculptures created to warn about sugar...
- Man gets jail time for attempted recruitment...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 27
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 14