SALT LAKE CITY — Alan Hall, founder and former chief executive officer of MarketStar Corp., has been named the new chairman of Prosperity 2020, a business-led movement to enhance innovation, investment and accountability in Utah public education.
Hall is a venture capitalist, seasoned entrepreneur and community leader who considers it his personal mission to create jobs and lift local economies. He is the founder of Grow America and Mercato Partners, a venture capital fund that invests in high-growth technology companies.
“Education is critical to our long-term economic prosperity and to our quality of life,” Hall said in a prepared statement. “I have been involved for many years in business and higher education. I look forward to doing my part to build on the momentum of this movement and to push us toward our goals.”
Hall is the second chairman of Prosperity 2020, succeeding Mark Bouchard who served as chairman for four years.
The business-led Prosperity 2020, which is supported by 20 chambers of commerce across the state, has worked in collaboration with state education officials, Gov. Gary Herbert and other policymakers to advance the state's goal of two-thirds of Utah adults holding a postsecondary degree or certificate by 2020.
“The entire business community owes Mark (Bouchard) a debt of gratitude for his unsurpassed dedication to this important issue,” Salt Lake Chamber President Lane Beattie said in a prepared statement. “It is no small task to bring together such a vast and diverse group of supporters, and he was a tireless champion for the Prosperity 2020 movement.”
In addition to his business positions, Hall is chairman of the Weber State University board of trustees and chairman of the university’s Capital Campaign Committee. He is also a weekly Forbes.com columnist.
- Two bodies discovered near Provo's Squaw Peak
- Family 'shocked' over Taylorsville woman's death
- Utah's popular 'soda-pop geyser' is fizzling out
- Tabernacle Choir performs Handel's 'Messiah'...
- Utah's new adaptive testing system draws...
- No aftershocks from Saturday's Tooele quake
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental shooting...
- Police make arrest in death of 59-year-old...
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 91
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 81
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 49
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 31
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch 25
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed;... 24
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental... 22
- Utah's new adaptive testing system... 21