SALT LAKE CITY — Alan Hall, founder and former chief executive officer of MarketStar Corp., has been named the new chairman of Prosperity 2020, a business-led movement to enhance innovation, investment and accountability in Utah public education.
Hall is a venture capitalist, seasoned entrepreneur and community leader who considers it his personal mission to create jobs and lift local economies. He is the founder of Grow America and Mercato Partners, a venture capital fund that invests in high-growth technology companies.
“Education is critical to our long-term economic prosperity and to our quality of life,” Hall said in a prepared statement. “I have been involved for many years in business and higher education. I look forward to doing my part to build on the momentum of this movement and to push us toward our goals.”
Hall is the second chairman of Prosperity 2020, succeeding Mark Bouchard who served as chairman for four years.
The business-led Prosperity 2020, which is supported by 20 chambers of commerce across the state, has worked in collaboration with state education officials, Gov. Gary Herbert and other policymakers to advance the state's goal of two-thirds of Utah adults holding a postsecondary degree or certificate by 2020.
“The entire business community owes Mark (Bouchard) a debt of gratitude for his unsurpassed dedication to this important issue,” Salt Lake Chamber President Lane Beattie said in a prepared statement. “It is no small task to bring together such a vast and diverse group of supporters, and he was a tireless champion for the Prosperity 2020 movement.”
In addition to his business positions, Hall is chairman of the Weber State University board of trustees and chairman of the university’s Capital Campaign Committee. He is also a weekly Forbes.com columnist.
- Utah man accused of rape is no stranger to...
- 22 songs Utahns love singing in the car
- Ed and Elizabeth Smart make plea for help in...
- Husband and wife of 74 years die hours apart...
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy immune system
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and who is he?
- Samuelson honored as 5,648 graduate from BYU
- Unwarranted drug database search prompts new...
- Poll: LDS Church influence over... 60
- Utah GOP leaders going forward with new... 58
- Josh Romney: I won't run against Sen.... 56
- Doctor: Vaccines result in healthy... 35
- Why is BYU honoring Robby George, and... 20
- Former Davis High teacher admits to... 19
- Tickets sell out for 'Book of Mormon'... 16
- Gov. Gary Herbert resisting Utah GOP... 14