High school football: All the trivia you could ever want to know for this week's games
Felt's Facts for week 1 of the 2013 season
August Miller, Deseret News
The 121st season of Utah prep football opens with record highs: 103 teams – including new Corner Canyon, 574 games – plus any intra-region playoffs, and six classifications. Endowment Week sees a record 51 games involving 101 Utah schools, and Bonneville (Idaho). Only Monument Valley and Rich take the week off.
For the first time since 1993, the Utah High School Activities Association (UHSAA) added a classification, but for football only.
(There was a temporary contraction to four classes in football for four seasons from 1997-2000 when the few 1A schools playing football competed in 2A as 1A teams. Utah returned to five classifications in 2001 when 1A got its own league back.)
The additional classification was just one of several alterations affecting prep football during the offseason, including rule and by-law modifications.
Felt's Next Fact: Significant rule changes
Felt’s Facts welcomes questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 105
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 93
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 77
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 53
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 49
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 39