High school football: All the trivia you could ever want to know for this week's games
Felt's Facts for week 1 of the 2013 season
August Miller, Deseret News
The 121st season of Utah prep football opens with record highs: 103 teams – including new Corner Canyon, 574 games – plus any intra-region playoffs, and six classifications. Endowment Week sees a record 51 games involving 101 Utah schools, and Bonneville (Idaho). Only Monument Valley and Rich take the week off.
For the first time since 1993, the Utah High School Activities Association (UHSAA) added a classification, but for football only.
(There was a temporary contraction to four classes in football for four seasons from 1997-2000 when the few 1A schools playing football competed in 2A as 1A teams. Utah returned to five classifications in 2001 when 1A got its own league back.)
The additional classification was just one of several alterations affecting prep football during the offseason, including rule and by-law modifications.
Felt's Next Fact: Significant rule changes
Felt’s Facts welcomes questions at email@example.com
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19 in AP,...
- Friday fracas: Trevor Booker nearly hit, gets...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most worthy of...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 67
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 47
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 29
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense could use... 24
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 24