Screen shot/ Farmington Patch
FARMINGTON, Conn. — In honor of LDS Church President Thomas S. Monson's 86th birthday Aug. 21, Latter-day Saints in Connecticut sang "Happy Birthday" to him during groundbreaking ceremonies for the Hartford Connecticut Temple last Saturday.
In a short video on the Farmington Patch website, many in the crowd of some 700 gathered for the temple groundbreaking can be heard singing "Happy Birthday" to the venerable church leader soon after he and others officially turned over the first shovels-full of earth for the new temple. After two aides help him to stand and acknowledge the birthday greeting, he raises his arms to jovially lead the singing of, "And many more."
"After some quick hellos to the attendees and photo ops, (President) Monson left and spent the afternoon with his family," wrote Farmington Patch editor Jessie Sawyer on the website post.
President Monson is the 16th president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He has served in that position for five and one-half years. This is his first birthday since the death of Frances, his wife of nearly 65 years, last May.
- Elder David E. Sorensen, former executive...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- President Uchtfdorf visits Provo City Center...
- Watch: Mormon missionaries save baby ducks
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS...
- LDS Church releases video about overcoming...
- What does heaven look like? Here are 10...
- Ask Angela: I'm not getting married in the...
- Ask Angela: I'm not getting married in... 89
- LDS Church releases video about... 42
- Defending the Faith: Paul and his list... 21
- LDS stake presidency participates in... 19
- Amish country bristles at... 10
- Want to keep your faith in college?... 7
- Is James Foley a martyr? A brutal death... 6
- 'True compassion': Members of the LDS... 6