Screen shot/ Farmington Patch
FARMINGTON, Conn. — In honor of LDS Church President Thomas S. Monson's 86th birthday Aug. 21, Latter-day Saints in Connecticut sang "Happy Birthday" to him during groundbreaking ceremonies for the Hartford Connecticut Temple last Saturday.
In a short video on the Farmington Patch website, many in the crowd of some 700 gathered for the temple groundbreaking can be heard singing "Happy Birthday" to the venerable church leader soon after he and others officially turned over the first shovels-full of earth for the new temple. After two aides help him to stand and acknowledge the birthday greeting, he raises his arms to jovially lead the singing of, "And many more."
"After some quick hellos to the attendees and photo ops, (President) Monson left and spent the afternoon with his family," wrote Farmington Patch editor Jessie Sawyer on the website post.
President Monson is the 16th president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He has served in that position for five and one-half years. This is his first birthday since the death of Frances, his wife of nearly 65 years, last May.
- LDS First Presidency calls 8 new MTC presidents
- Tebow’s recent breakup creates divide...
- The Piano Guys perform 'Silent Night' at New...
- Lindsey Stirling, Alex Boye, others to...
- LDS Church releases 'A Savior Is Born'...
- New Joseph Smith Papers volume provides...
- The effect of having a widow's mite of faith
- LDS World: Learning to recognize God's tender...
- Tebow’s recent breakup creates... 13
- MTC missionaries spend Thanksgiving... 11
- Wright Words: Why Thanksgiving is... 4
- A lesson a little girl learned while... 4
- LDS Church releases 'A Savior Is Born'... 4
- The effect of having a widow's mite of... 2
- Pope Francis brings peace message to... 1
- Book review: 'Understanding the... 1