Utah football: Injured Utes likely can appreciate this Emily Dickinson poem
Taking inventory of Utah's injury and academic issues
Carter’s uncertain academic status prompted coaches to switch Reshawn Hooker, who was Blechen’s reserve at stud linebacker, to safety before yet another concussion ended Hooker’s career.
Clarence Smith (6-3, 215) is a 17-year-old freshman being brought to Salt Lake City earlier than expected to provide emergency relief following Hooker’s non-football-qualifying status.
What is certain: Carter (6-1, 213) will not be enrolled this fall because of academic issues. It’s not the first time the young man has struggled with his report card. He originally signed with Cal in 2010 after being named a four-star receiver by Rivals.com and Scout.com out of Santee High (Calif.). He instead transferred to Los Angeles Southwest College after troubles with grades.
Because of Carter’s immense athletic ability, it’s probably no surprise that he was a 2011 and 2012 first-team all-conference safety and the team’s leading defender last season, with 62 tackles and three interceptions.
Whittingham said his team was counting mightily on Carter. His absence likely means that sophomore Charles Henderson, a converted receiver, will likely start along with star junior Eric Rowe. Junior Tyron Morris-Edwards — with his nine games of experience — is also in the mix.
Rhett Wilkinson is a project manager for UtahPolicy.com and hails the true-blooded Aggies from Utah. The co-founder of magazine Aggie BluePrint.com, he's been an intern for the Deseret News and other publications. firstname.lastname@example.org | @wilklogan
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Morning links: National college... 88
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 71
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 55
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 53
- Annual instate college basketball... 38
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 33
- Phil Steele 2016 Football magazine... 31