Utah football: Injured Utes likely can appreciate this Emily Dickinson poem
Taking inventory of Utah's injury and academic issues
Carter’s uncertain academic status prompted coaches to switch Reshawn Hooker, who was Blechen’s reserve at stud linebacker, to safety before yet another concussion ended Hooker’s career.
Clarence Smith (6-3, 215) is a 17-year-old freshman being brought to Salt Lake City earlier than expected to provide emergency relief following Hooker’s non-football-qualifying status.
What is certain: Carter (6-1, 213) will not be enrolled this fall because of academic issues. It’s not the first time the young man has struggled with his report card. He originally signed with Cal in 2010 after being named a four-star receiver by Rivals.com and Scout.com out of Santee High (Calif.). He instead transferred to Los Angeles Southwest College after troubles with grades.
Because of Carter’s immense athletic ability, it’s probably no surprise that he was a 2011 and 2012 first-team all-conference safety and the team’s leading defender last season, with 62 tackles and three interceptions.
Whittingham said his team was counting mightily on Carter. His absence likely means that sophomore Charles Henderson, a converted receiver, will likely start along with star junior Eric Rowe. Junior Tyron Morris-Edwards — with his nine games of experience — is also in the mix.
Rhett Wilkinson is a project manager for UtahPolicy.com and hails the true-blooded Aggies from Utah. The co-founder of magazine Aggie BluePrint.com, he's been an intern for the Deseret News and other publications. firstname.lastname@example.org | @wilklogan
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Gallery of champions: All 94 state...
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Former Ute player among those invited to work...
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting niche
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 49
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 47
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 42
- BYU football signs New Zealand rugby... 24
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 12
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner... 8
- Utah State basketball: Aggie men to... 6