Provo School District builds Provo High its "field of dreams"
And while one of the purposes was to bring equity in the sports facilities between the district's two high schools, Provo and Timpview, many have found fault with the fact that public monies were used for this project while most of the upgrades at Timpview such as their football center, turf field and new weight room came about through private donations.
Still others feel the district has other pressing needs with other buildings across the district, and even at Provo High School itself.
But Rittel pointed out in his remarks that the facility itself, though built for Provo High students as its primary users, can and will be used by the broader Provo city community. And with a true state-of-the-art facility, there are hopes and plans to host events that will bring money into the district and school. The field itself will cut down on injuries as well as maintenence costs that come with grass surfaces.
One critical question is whether Provo High's athletic programs, which have generally struggled the past few years, will receive a boost. Will the new complex bring victories?
School board member Marsha Judkins is hopeful.
"Students, coaches, faculty and administration can be proud of the facilities they have to offer visiting schools. It can also change a mindset. Such amazing facilities must be the home of amazing students, programs, and athletic teams," stated Judkins.
It is no doubt that facilities can change attitudes amongst athletes and parents. Provo High administrators and coaches, particularly the football program, are hoping that athletes living in the Provo High boundaries that might have been lost to other programs, will now stay home and play on Provo High's "Field of Dreams."
Brian E. Preece is a freelance sports writer who has been published by numerous publications. He is also entering his 19th year of teaching and coaching at Provo High School and was the head wrestling coach from 1994-2006.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 27
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21