River Aguire is the only returning starter from the team that won the 1A South region title a season ago. He will be back as a wide receiver and senior Saxon Mingus will play quarterback. Levi Dustin is the Diamond Backs’ primary running back. Dias is looking to linemen Joe Yeager, Chandler Chunning and Shane Lister to make an impact.
(1 returning starters)
The leaders on the Diamond Ranch offense will also be the key players on the defensive side of the ball. Aguire returns as a strong safety, while Mingus plays linebacker and Dustin is a strong safety. Yeager, Chunning and Lister will again make the difference for the Diamond Backs on the line.
Coaches preseason 1A South straw poll: Third
Deseret News 1A South prediction: Third
Bottom line: Diamond Ranch and all of 1A welcomes Kanab back to the state’s smallest classification. While the Cowboys will provide great competition, the Diamond Backs first need to get comfortable with the brand-new roster. Although the team has some excellent athletes around the field, Dias said it is the play at the line that will dictate the success of the team.
Sarah Thomas earned a degree in Mathematics from the University of Utah and is currently pursuing an MBA at Westminster College. She has been covering sports for the Deseret News since 2008.
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- High school football: East's Ula Tolutau...
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- High school football: 2013 Deseret News MVPs...
- BYU's worldwide fan base highlighted in...
- Brad Rock: Jazz dreaming of a Blazing future
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 103
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 75
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 64
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 49
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 45
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27