West Valley City residents can report minor crimes online
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
WEST VALLEY CITY — Just a week after launching its crime mapping website, West Valley City has announced an online option for reporting crimes.
The Citizens Online Police Reporting system allows residents to file a report about nonemergency crimes anytime day or night, West Valley City police announced Tuesday.
Those crimes include graffiti, lost property, items stolen out of vehicles, criminal mischief, harassing phone calls and several varieties of theft.
Residents filing a report will receive a case number, and once officers have reviewed the submission, they'll have access to a police report.
Interim Police Chief Anita Schwemmer said the program keeps more officers on the streets while making it faster and convenient for residents to report minor crimes. Officers are still available whenever they're needed, she added.
"The online reporting tool certainly makes it easier to report crimes, but our officers are always available to respond to calls in person," Schwemmer said.
West Valley City police have faced months of public scrutiny over revelations of procedural violations in the department's now defunct Neighborhood Narcotics Unit, dismissal of more than 120 drug-related cases, the unresolved mystery of Susan Cox Powell's disappearance and the officer-involved shooting death of 21-year-old Danielle Willard.
- After more than 6 years, 3 families yearn for...
- Strong winds cause damage, possibly fatal...
- Former BYU, non-Mormon professor writes 'in...
- Millcreek man faces child abuse homicide...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch headed to Israel to meet...
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- About Utah: Want a ride to the past? Matt...
- New strategies eliminate long waitlist for...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 51
- GOP primary in governor's race now... 24
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries 13
- Provo transit project set to begin,... 13
- Chaffetz attorney calls FEC complaint... 11
- Former BYU, non-Mormon professor writes... 11
- Brewvies wants judge to stop DABC from... 10
- Sen. Orrin Hatch headed to Israel to... 10