West Valley City residents can report minor crimes online
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
WEST VALLEY CITY — Just a week after launching its crime mapping website, West Valley City has announced an online option for reporting crimes.
The Citizens Online Police Reporting system allows residents to file a report about nonemergency crimes anytime day or night, West Valley City police announced Tuesday.
Those crimes include graffiti, lost property, items stolen out of vehicles, criminal mischief, harassing phone calls and several varieties of theft.
Residents filing a report will receive a case number, and once officers have reviewed the submission, they'll have access to a police report.
Interim Police Chief Anita Schwemmer said the program keeps more officers on the streets while making it faster and convenient for residents to report minor crimes. Officers are still available whenever they're needed, she added.
"The online reporting tool certainly makes it easier to report crimes, but our officers are always available to respond to calls in person," Schwemmer said.
West Valley City police have faced months of public scrutiny over revelations of procedural violations in the department's now defunct Neighborhood Narcotics Unit, dismissal of more than 120 drug-related cases, the unresolved mystery of Susan Cox Powell's disappearance and the officer-involved shooting death of 21-year-old Danielle Willard.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Roy home destroyed in fire
- Man shot by roommate in Holladay, police say
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- LDS Church asks court to void subpoena... 12
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 8
- Brother, sister hugged each other as... 8
- Prosecutors say Jeremy Johnson should... 7
- Audit of embattled S.L. County... 7