PLEASANT GROVE — A woman with a history of DUI arrests was jailed again Monday after police say she hit a 10-year-old boy riding a bike.
Gale Harris, 55, was booked into the Utah County Jail for investigation of several counts of various drug possession charges, including meth, oxycodone and hydrocodone, as well as DUI.
Harris was driving on 1100 North near 650 West about 3 p.m. when police say she drifted off to the side of the road and hit Tyson Barton, who was riding his bicycle in the shoulder close to the sidewalk.
"I heard something, looked back and the car was right behind me," Tyson said.
Tyson suffered a black eye and several scrapes and bruises but was discharged from the hospital about 11 a.m. Tuesday. Tyson said his bicycle absorbed most of the impact from Harris' vehicle.
"I just have a fracture in one of the bones in my back, and some bruises and road rash, and my face got torn up pretty good," he said.
Prescription pills and illegal drugs were found in Harris' vehicle. She refused a blood draw at the scene.
Utah court records show Harris' criminal history dates back to the early '90s and includes multiple convictions for drug possession and possession of drug paraphernalia.
— Pat Reavy
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of Mormonism
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- U. doctor thanks strangers who saved him,...
- Father of slain woman said he lived his life...
- About Utah: For 95-year-old, the secret to...
- 2 children critically injured in wrong-way...
- Ex-A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff due in...
- Car traveling 100 mph crashes into parked...
- Traditional marriage supporters want... 84
- Educators at UEA convention told to... 40
- Democrats challenge Mia Love's... 38
- Feminist speaker claims USU didn't warn... 32
- Federal government extends same-sex... 29
- Autopsy shows man posed no threat to... 23
- Mia Love included in a new ad... 21
- Jenna Kim Jones: The new, cool face of... 16