Preseason auditions: Former Utah players making their case to earn NFL roster spot
Denis Poroy, ASSOCIATED PRESS
When NFL training camps began, somewhere around 2,800 players were listed on the league's 32 team rosters.
By the end of August, a little more than a month after these camps began, only 1,696 of those players will find themselves on the active/inactive list of an NFL team.
In a competitive market where around 40 percent of applicants don't earn a job, NFL training camps and preseason action amount to a proving ground for those hoping to make playing football their profession.
Dozens of players with Utah ties are among those fighting to find a spot on the 53-man roster. Soon, they will know if the work has paid off.
Prior to 2 p.m. MT on Aug. 27, NFL teams have to reduce their roster to 75 players. The big cut comes four days later on Aug. 31, when teams must have their active/inactive list trimmed to 53 players by 4 p.m. MT.
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: @brandonljudd
- BYU football notebook: Coaches make notable...
- The 2014 Heisman Trophy tracker
- BYU football enemy camp: 5 questions with a...
- Rock On: Utah, please play Idaho State annually
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars' schedule...
- Texas will be without starting QB, center for...
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands Aggies...
- Dick Harmon: A visit to Greenwich, the place...
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center... 67
- First steps: Utes open season with... 66
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 59
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 49
- Utah State football: Tennessee hands... 35
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora... 28
- BYU's suspended players expected to be... 28