The next morning, the Survival Test included using a 3-in-1 hoist to recover a haul bag that was the about the weight of the child. One team member had to lower himself down, attach a haul bag line, climb back up and then attach it into the Z-shaped ropes in the pulley to pull up the bag.
For the Vachs, Austin went down to clip in the haul bag line and was the first back up over the edge. But the teams were about even as they figured out the ropes and hauled up their bags.
“It’s looking more like a snakes’ wedding of ropes than a proper 3-in-1 hoist,” Grylls observed during the test.
It was the Larsons who won the challenge and the trip to the Feast Pit, with fajitas and a bath — and one of the three spots in the final journey.
At Bear’s Camp that evening, Grylls had both praise and criticism for each team as they completed their tasks.
“I’m looking at four incredible teams here,” Grylls said. “You’re the four teams who have shown me that you can put up with fatigue and hunger and pain and hardship. I’m proud of you.”
For the Vachs, the criticism was not anchoring the line of people with the largest members of the group at the back. For Gwin and Mitchell, it was how long it took to get the fire started. And for Winter and Powell, it was Powell insisting to get the food instead of sending Winter to get it. He told the Larsons that their shelter wasn’t adequate, either.
“Jim and Austin, I think there is a pattern of trying to do it on your own,” Grylls said of not using everyone’s strengths to help the whole group, but praised their dependability.
“The wild is always revealing,” Grylls said. “The lesson is the rewards in life don’t always go to the biggest or the bravest or the smartest. The rewards go to the dogged.”
In the end, it was Gwin and Mitchell who were eliminated.
“The weather forecast the next few days is horrific,” Grylls told the remaining three teams. “I like that because it’s going to bring out the best in you.”
The Vachs will compete in one more journey where the final team will win $500,000.
“Get Out Alive with Bear Grylls” airs Mondays at 8 p.m. on NBC.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: CTRappleye
- When Satan steals your motherhood
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to...
- Some LDS missionaries coming home from...
- LDS leader describes writing Elder Neal A....
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s...
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance to...
- Temple tax: European court rules LDS Church...
- Temple tax: European court rules LDS... 94
- Ask Angela: LDS women have unrealistic... 53
- Family of BYU student hit by car say... 38
- Wright Words: Idaho woman learns to... 35
- When Satan steals your motherhood 29
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Sweden... 23
- 'Son of God' is strong on production,... 20
- Defending the Faith: Where is Mount Sinai? 17