Coach: Ashley Brown enters his 14th year as head coach of the Rebels. After losing in the 1A state championship game, he owns a 93-54 record. He graduated from Star Valley, Idaho, and played football at Wyoming.
(6 returning; Option)
The Rebels will rely on a new quarterback, McKay Jarman, who has limited offensive experience but started on the team’s defense last year. He’ll have plenty of support from senior fullback Ben Groll, who should take over where his cousin Austin left off as the team’s leading rusher. Senior linemen Dakota Clark and Isaac Hopkin will be key in the team’s ability to execute the offense.
Groll will captain the team’s defense at middle linebacker, while Clark and Hopkin will lead the effort in the trenches. The defense has always been distinguished by a mentality of toughness that’s a trademark of the Rebel program. That shouldn’t change this season.
Coaches preseason Region 2 straw poll: Second
Deseret News Region 2 prediction: Second
Bottom line: The Rebels will certainly be in the mix of top teams in 1A, but it remains to be seen if they can defeat the Eagles and end that impressive three-year championship streak. The program has talent and the Rebels are known for their toughness. If the linemen can do what the Rebels have always done well, their run game will be tough to stop.
Rich coaching history
2000-current — Ashley Brown (93-54)
1991-1999 — Jerre Holmes (67-30)
1989-1990 — Dan Haskell (8-12)
1985-1988 — Dean Scott (13-20)
Deseret News MVPs the past 10 years
2009 — Bradley Holmes, QB/LB
2002 — Colby Holmes, QB
Deseret News First Team all-staters the past 10 years
2012 — Austin Groll, QB/DB
2012 — Kaden Thomson, RB/LB
2012 — McKay Jarman, WR/DL
2012 — Kade Earley, OL/DL
2011 — Austin Groll, QB/LB
2011 — Brady Meek, RB/LB, Rich
2011 — Bracken Pinter, TE/DE
2010 — Kayden Calder, QB/DB
2010 — Kalen Larsen, OL/DL
2010 — Cody Groll, RB/DB
2010 — Phillip Peart, OL/LB
2009 — Caden Andersen, QB/LB
2009 — Hayden McKee, RB/LB
2009 — Clint Cornelison, WR/DB
2009 — Cooper Cornia, LB/RB
2009 — Tyson Larsen, OL/LB
2008 — Caden Andersen, WR/DB
2008 — Bradley Holmes, QB/LB
2007 — Kade Bell, OL/DL
2007 — Bradley Holmes, QB/DB
2007 — Clayson Myers, RB/LB
2007 — Tyler Satterthwaite, RB
2006 — Derek Andersen, RB/LB
2006 — Jared Hislop, RB/LB
2005 — Zach Marler, OL/DL
2005 — Derek Andersen, RB/LB
2004 — Jordan McKee, QB
2004 — Sean Weston, RB
2004 — David Herrera, LB
2003 — Sean Weston, RB/LB
To view second team and honorable mention all-staters through the years, check out the Deseret News All-State Archives.
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Report: ACC changes stance, now considers BYU...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start employing...
- Utah secures commitments from two of Utah...
- Morning links: Austin Collie denies report he...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 65
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 53
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 45
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 41
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 38
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35