The opening of Corner Canyon High School coincided with a districtwide grade reconfiguration that sees ninth-graders moving to Canyons high schools and sixth- graders attending middle schools.
District spokeswoman Jennifer Toomer-Cook said the reconfiguration, which has been in the works for several years, went into effect Monday with very few hiccups.
"Our principals are telling us that it went remarkably smoothly and even more smoothly than they anticipated," she said. "We’re feeling really good about that. We’ve been communicating this to patrons since 2010."
Jordan School District will open Copper Mountain Middle School in Herriman when classes begin Monday. District spokeswoman Sandra Riesgraf said the school held an open house two weeks ago and is essentially completed and ready for the arrival of students.
"Pretty much everything is in," she said. "I think there’s just minor things that they are adjusting."
The new middle school will open at near capacity, and several of the district's portable classrooms have been reallocated to address growth in Jordan School District, Riesgraf said.
The district has broken ground on a new elementary school, and residents will vote in November on a nearly $500 million bond to finance the construction of new buildings.
"We have an increasing demand for more portables and more schools this year, so we’re dealing with that," Riesgraf said.
- Local religious leaders urge support for...
- The story of a fish, a river and what's ahead...
- Cities, state battle panhandling through the...
- Man killed in avalanche had a passion for...
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias measure
- Judge: Biological father will share custody...
- Body of man, 51, discovered outside Cedar City
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 56
- National, local businesses file briefs... 54
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 32
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- Judge: Biological father will share... 27
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 24
- Local religious leaders urge support... 20
- Prison relocation resolution passes House 19