Keith Fullenkamp, Utah Division of Wildlife Resources
SALT LAKE CITY — The Division of Wildlife Resources and the Utah Waterfowl Association are hosting a free hunt for youths guided by some of Utah’s best waterfowl hunters.
Participants must be graduates of Utah’s hunter education program and 12 to 15 years of age on the day of the hunt. Also, by Sept. 7, participants must call 801-698-6467 or 801-786-9999 for their names to be included in a drawing for the hunt.
The guided hunt will be held on Utah’s Youth Hunting Day. On Thursday, the Utah Wildlife Board will decide whether the hunting day will be Sept. 21 or Sept. 28.
“Late September is a great time to hunt ducks and geese,” said Sgt. Keith Fullenkamp, one of the DWR officers who’ll participate in the hunt. “The weather is usually perfect, and the number of ducks in Utah is the highest they’ll be all year. The kids who participate will have a lot of fun. And they’ll learn a lot about waterfowl hunting from the experienced guides who’ll accompany them.”
The free, guided hunts will be held at locations in Davis, Weber and Box Elder counties. Participants also must have little or no experience hunting ducks and geese and must provide their own ammunition, shotgun, waders, hunting license and basic personal hunting gear. The guide, boats and decoys will be provided free of charge.
A parent or legal guardian must accompany the young hunter, and hunters must sign a liability waiver.
After the hunt, Camp Chef and Widow Maker Boats will provide a free lunch, served from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Robert N. Hasenyager Great Salt Lake Nature Center at the Farmington Bay Waterfowl Management Area.
For a chance to participate, call Utah Waterfowl Association member Troy Thompson at 801-698-6467 or DWR conservation officer Wyatt Bubak at 801-786-9999 no later than Sept. 7.
Adult hunters who would like to serve as a guide also can call Thompson or Bubak.
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Area museums help visitors ‘slow down,...
- The tiny town that set out to be Utah's...
- Jim Bennett: One 11-year-old's perspective on...
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 63
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 47
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 29
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 21
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 18
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17
- Two Utah schools under federal... 10
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 9