The BYU women’s soccer team defeated the Haiti women’s national team 5-0 in an international friendly Friday night at South Field.
BYU scored three of its five goals in the first half while keeping Haiti scoreless.
"I couldn't be more pleased," BYU head coach Jennifer Rockwood said. "I've been very pleased with the way we've been training the last week and I'm really pleased with the way we came out. We wanted to come out with a lot of energy and see how quickly we can score goals. I thought our transition play was solid and we have a lot of great dangerous attacking players."
Cloee Colohan scored two goals, one of which gave the Cougars their first goal of the game in the 8th minute when Colette Jepson Smith assisted on a kick in front of the post and a soft touch by Colohan put it in. Colohan’s second goal, BYU’s fourth overall, came in the second half on a free kick that bounced off both posts and the crossbar and went in.
The last goal made before the half came from Ashley Hatch in the 39th minute as she was running side by side against Haiti’s Shanna Hudson and struck it into the goal.
Haiti’s best opportunity to score came in the first half in the 21st and 43rd minute when multiple shots bounced off the top crossbar.
With nine minutes remaining in the game, Marissa Nimmer scored the fifth goal on a rainbow kick too high for Haiti’s goalkeeper, Geralda Saintilus, to reach.
The Cougars played efficiently on both ends in a physical battle, finishing the game with a total of 26 shots to Haiti’s 13.
"There are always things we can improve on, but for our first game out here with this new team, I was really pleased," Rockwood said. "It was a great opportunity to meet (the Haitian players) and we respect what they do and they had to come a long way to play us. It was a great warmup game for us as we prepare to play (Cal State Fullerton)."
Over 1,900 fans were in attendance for the only exhibition game of the season.
BYU will host Cal State Fullerton on Friday at 7 p.m. at South Field in the Cougars regular season home opener. The game will be broadcast live on BYUtv.
- Ex-Ute gets gift of life with new heart from...
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with...
- BYU Cougars happy to have Saturday afternoon...
- BYU football: 5 questions with a Virginia...
- BYU defense, offense being noticed for...
- BYU vs. Virginia primer
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big part...
- No. 21 BYU faces opportunistic, upset-minded...
- BYU center Tejan Koroma's penalty... 78
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 70
- Red and Blue Recruits: Breaking down... 61
- Dick Harmon: Is BYU quarterback Taysom... 54
- No. 21 BYU preparing for a Virginia... 50
- If BYU and Utah played on the gridiron... 49
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 34