Teuscher did not find out which players started last season and is building the new Copper Hills offense from scratch. He says it will be balanced and led by senior quarterback Sam Taylor. “When he played, what success Copper Hills did have, a lot of it was with Sam Taylor as the quarterback,” Teuscher said. “He’s done a good job adjusting to what we’re doing moving forward. And over the summer, he’s been inquisitive. You can tell he wants to get it right.”
(3 returning starters)
A year ago, the Copper Hills defense gave up an average of 40.1 points per game. Teuscher said this season, the Grizzlies will be much more aggressive.
Coaches preseason Region 3 straw poll: Sixth
Deseret News Region 3 prediction: Sixth
Bottom line: The Copper Hills football plan for success includes long-term goals to rejuvenate the program. The head coach said he knows the future is bright with outstanding parent, school and community support. While the changes may not show up in the win-loss column this season, there will be noticeable differences as the makeup of the Grizzlies football program is going through a complete overhaul.
Copper Hills coaching history
2013 — John Teuscher (0-0)
2009-2012 — Kai Kapele (6-33)
2005-2008 — Art Erickson (13-27)
2000-2004 — Mike Smith (15-39)
1995-1999 — Ron Halbertson, Jr. (7-39)
Deseret News First Team all-staters the past 10 years
To view second team and honorable mention all-staters through the years, check out the Deseret News All-State Archives.
Sarah Thomas earned a degree in Mathematics from the University of Utah and is currently pursuing an MBA at Westminster College. She has been covering sports for the Deseret News since 2008.
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- BYU basketball: Breaking down UMass, Cougars'...
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much money...
- Breaking down UMass, BYU basketball's next...
- Local NFL watch: How Utah players fared in...
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged to Miss...
- Several Utahns help LDS school Southern...
- Power rankings: Pac-12, WCC, MWC men's...
- Mike Sorensen: Despite disappointing... 192
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 100
- BYU football: Cougar offense rebounds... 84
- Utah football: Utes end season with... 76
- BYU, Utah State basketball: Second-half... 74
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 50