Tennis camp shows young wheelchair athletes they're not alone
James said it takes an incredible amount of athletic ability and determination to be successful at a sport like wheelchair tennis.
“The coordination of using your hands and arms for movement and for striking the ball, it takes an incredible amount of athletic ability just to strike the ball,” James said. “It’s incredible. But the best part, the kids who are out here, they don’t care about that.” What the budding athletes care about is learning to play better tennis. They care about making friends and having fun.
“It was an amazing experience,” said Bobbi Hunter. “There are not very many disabled children out here in Grantsville; he’s kind of a minority. For him to feel like he can play, that he feels empowered to do it for himself, that’s just something incredible. And just so he knows he’s not alone.”
Nathan said the camp was for him exactly what his parents and the USTA officials hoped it would be.
“It helps a lot,” he said of playing tennis every day with kids who deal with the same issues he does. “It makes me feel like I’m not alone. And yes, I did have a lot of fun in the tournament today.”
Bobbi Hunter said she’s just interested in Nathan having fun and making friends.
“It melts my heart to see him smiling, having fun and see that confidence that comes from him doing something all on his own," said his mom.
Meanwhile, Nathan admits he has some lofty goals and has even considered how he might make athletics a career.
“I’m hoping I can be in the Paralympics,” he said. “I’d like to be in the police force or be a tennis instructor.”
- NBC to unveil new theme song for 'Sunday...
- From Ben Simmons down, international players...
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 63
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 41
- Kyle Whittingham says Utah Utes... 37
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Jakob Poeltl to the Utah Jazz? It's... 25
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- Morning links: Warriors feel Andrew... 22