Dick Harmon: Determined Skyler Ridley has become a key part of BYU's talented receiving corps
“If we have the guys to give our quarterbacks time to throw, we have the guys to get up and get it. We get 5 yards here and there and then make a big play with guys like Cody and Mitch going up and getting the ball. It’s exciting and that’s what the offense is designed to do.
“I think as you’ve seen, we’ve worn down our defensive backs and I expect we will do that as teams come here or we travel. Really, there is no way you can prepare for the speed at which we are running our offense in just four or five days. So, it is a huge advantage against any team we play this year.”
What has stood out as a receiver?
“The deep ball,” said Ridley. “I haven’t seen us throw the deep ball this often and this well in a long time, probably since Austin (Collie) was here.”
As BYU propels toward the opener at Virginia on Aug. 31, the Ridley story takes a back seat, as it should, to the health of Grandma Poulton, whose family is watching and praying for her.
“It was tough the other night to hear she had a stroke,” said Skyler. “I hope she gets better.”
However it goes, Ethel can be proud she produced a grandson who continues to get up and press forward. By all accounts, he's an example worth believing in today.
Dick Harmon, Deseret News sports columnist, can be found on Twitter as Harmonwrites and can be contacted at email@example.com.
- Commentary: Long-term success in independence...
- Cougars in the pros: Austin Collie re-signs...
- 2014 NBA draft tracker: An ongoing look at...
- Former Cougar star Jackson Emery shares...
- High school boys basketball: Underdogs shine...
- BYU basketball: Cougars face No. 21 UMass in...
- High school sports: Thursday's prep roundup
- Utah Jazz: Banner day coming for Jerry Sloan
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 102
- College football re-rankings: Where do... 60
- Unbeaten Utes hit the road for the... 58
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 57
- Sources: Former BYU quarterback Steve... 52
- BYU basketball: 3 players record... 47
- Dick Harmon: USC taps BYU experience... 46
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 43