Names of 3 killed in four-car accident near Moab released
Utah Highway Patrol
MOAB — Two people from Texas and one from Georgia were killed in Friday's four-car accident near Moab.
Names of the victims were released Saturday by the Utah Department of Public Safety.
Juan Vidales, 54, his daughter Stephanie Vidales, 27, both of Saginaw, Texas, and Arthur Loewen, 69, of Perry, Ga., were killed in the crash. Four others, including a 10-year-old girl, were injured and transported to area hospitals.
About 3 p.m. Friday on state Route 191, a Nissan Maxima driven by David Lewis, 28, of Saginaw, Texas, attempted to pass a semitrailer in a no-passing zone, striking an oncoming Hyundai Azera, the Utah Highway Patrol reported.
Juan Vidales was sitting in the front passenger seat. Stephanie Vidales, who was sitting in the back seat, was ejected from the vehicle. Stephanie's 10-year-old daughter was also ejected but suffered only minor injuries.
The collision sent the Nissan spinning down the road, where it was struck on the passenger door by a northbound Cadillac DTS, stopping it in the center of the highway. The Cadillac spun off the shoulder and came to a stop. Loewen was sitting in the front passenger seat of the Cadillac.
A northbound Toyota Camry that was travelling behind the Hyundai avoided the collision but was hit by debris. The driver was uninjured.
The injured were transported to San Juan Hospital and St. Mary's Hospital in Grand Junction, Colo. The San Juan County Attorney's Office was screening possible charges against Lewis, who was Stephanie Vildales' boyfriend, according to the UHP.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- IRS raids properties with possible polygamist...
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's...
- Friends, family remember sister missionary...
- 7 more of the most infamous criminals in Utah...
- Manti man indicted in Oregon occupation;...
- UHP trooper hit during I-15 traffic stop
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- IRS raids properties with possible... 19
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 11
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 10