Names of 3 killed in four-car accident near Moab released
Utah Highway Patrol
MOAB — Two people from Texas and one from Georgia were killed in Friday's four-car accident near Moab.
Names of the victims were released Saturday by the Utah Department of Public Safety.
Juan Vidales, 54, his daughter Stephanie Vidales, 27, both of Saginaw, Texas, and Arthur Loewen, 69, of Perry, Ga., were killed in the crash. Four others, including a 10-year-old girl, were injured and transported to area hospitals.
About 3 p.m. Friday on state Route 191, a Nissan Maxima driven by David Lewis, 28, of Saginaw, Texas, attempted to pass a semitrailer in a no-passing zone, striking an oncoming Hyundai Azera, the Utah Highway Patrol reported.
Juan Vidales was sitting in the front passenger seat. Stephanie Vidales, who was sitting in the back seat, was ejected from the vehicle. Stephanie's 10-year-old daughter was also ejected but suffered only minor injuries.
The collision sent the Nissan spinning down the road, where it was struck on the passenger door by a northbound Cadillac DTS, stopping it in the center of the highway. The Cadillac spun off the shoulder and came to a stop. Loewen was sitting in the front passenger seat of the Cadillac.
A northbound Toyota Camry that was travelling behind the Hyundai avoided the collision but was hit by debris. The driver was uninjured.
The injured were transported to San Juan Hospital and St. Mary's Hospital in Grand Junction, Colo. The San Juan County Attorney's Office was screening possible charges against Lewis, who was Stephanie Vildales' boyfriend, according to the UHP.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- Employee error ruins 41 acres of Salt Lake...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls his...
- 4-year-old boy gets new ear with aid of a 3-D...
- BYU student claims he was evicted after...
- BYU student claims he was evicted after... 47
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 35
- Meetings to resolve Medicaid expansion... 29
- Critics worry firing squad law will... 28
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 23
- Tea party movement still strong,... 22
- Salt Lake City to become next Google... 17
- Firing squad's return in Utah may... 14