Names of 3 killed in four-car accident near Moab released
Utah Highway Patrol
MOAB — Two people from Texas and one from Georgia were killed in Friday's four-car accident near Moab.
Names of the victims were released Saturday by the Utah Department of Public Safety.
Juan Vidales, 54, his daughter Stephanie Vidales, 27, both of Saginaw, Texas, and Arthur Loewen, 69, of Perry, Ga., were killed in the crash. Four others, including a 10-year-old girl, were injured and transported to area hospitals.
About 3 p.m. Friday on state Route 191, a Nissan Maxima driven by David Lewis, 28, of Saginaw, Texas, attempted to pass a semitrailer in a no-passing zone, striking an oncoming Hyundai Azera, the Utah Highway Patrol reported.
Juan Vidales was sitting in the front passenger seat. Stephanie Vidales, who was sitting in the back seat, was ejected from the vehicle. Stephanie's 10-year-old daughter was also ejected but suffered only minor injuries.
The collision sent the Nissan spinning down the road, where it was struck on the passenger door by a northbound Cadillac DTS, stopping it in the center of the highway. The Cadillac spun off the shoulder and came to a stop. Loewen was sitting in the front passenger seat of the Cadillac.
A northbound Toyota Camry that was travelling behind the Hyundai avoided the collision but was hit by debris. The driver was uninjured.
The injured were transported to San Juan Hospital and St. Mary's Hospital in Grand Junction, Colo. The San Juan County Attorney's Office was screening possible charges against Lewis, who was Stephanie Vildales' boyfriend, according to the UHP.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to...
- BYU student parlays app idea into a life-changer
- Security, firefighters detain woman...
- Sandy man gets prison time in $1.5 million...
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after...
- New Salt Lake fire chief caught in political...
- Larry H. Miller family pulls Tooele County...
- Parents of teen who died in overdose hope...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 43
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 33
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 22
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 20
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 17
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 15
- Mayor responds to pending harassment... 14
- BYU student parlays app idea into a... 12