Names of 3 killed in four-car accident near Moab released
Utah Highway Patrol
MOAB — Two people from Texas and one from Georgia were killed in Friday's four-car accident near Moab.
Names of the victims were released Saturday by the Utah Department of Public Safety.
Juan Vidales, 54, his daughter Stephanie Vidales, 27, both of Saginaw, Texas, and Arthur Loewen, 69, of Perry, Ga., were killed in the crash. Four others, including a 10-year-old girl, were injured and transported to area hospitals.
About 3 p.m. Friday on state Route 191, a Nissan Maxima driven by David Lewis, 28, of Saginaw, Texas, attempted to pass a semitrailer in a no-passing zone, striking an oncoming Hyundai Azera, the Utah Highway Patrol reported.
Juan Vidales was sitting in the front passenger seat. Stephanie Vidales, who was sitting in the back seat, was ejected from the vehicle. Stephanie's 10-year-old daughter was also ejected but suffered only minor injuries.
The collision sent the Nissan spinning down the road, where it was struck on the passenger door by a northbound Cadillac DTS, stopping it in the center of the highway. The Cadillac spun off the shoulder and came to a stop. Loewen was sitting in the front passenger seat of the Cadillac.
A northbound Toyota Camry that was travelling behind the Hyundai avoided the collision but was hit by debris. The driver was uninjured.
The injured were transported to San Juan Hospital and St. Mary's Hospital in Grand Junction, Colo. The San Juan County Attorney's Office was screening possible charges against Lewis, who was Stephanie Vildales' boyfriend, according to the UHP.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- LDS missionary Mason Wells returns home 37...
- Arches National Park wants to ID those...
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah
- BYU will buy Provo High School for $25M,...
- Utah woman's secret: Ted Bundy tried to kill...
- Families need to know of dying decision to...
- National Defense Authorization Act includes...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 51
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah 50
- BYU will buy Provo High School for... 48
- GOP's hard feelings over SB54 play part... 43
- Waiting on 'young invincibles' 40
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- Council approves policy banning dating... 26