Utah Highway Patrol
MOAB — A destructive crash between four vehicles Friday killed three people on state Route 191 near Moab.
The accident occurred around 3 p.m. about 30 miles south of Moab when a southbound Nissan Maxima attempted to pass a semitrailer in a no-passing zone, striking an oncoming Hyundai Azera, the Utah Highway Patrol reported.
The collision sent the Nissan spinning down the road, where it was struck on the passenger door by a northbound Cadillac DTS, stopping it in the center of the highway. The Cadillac spun off the shoulder and came to a stop.
A northbound Toyota Camry that was travelling behind the Hyundai avoided the collision but was hit by debris. The driver was uninjured.
The four people in the Nissan were all residents of Saginaw, Texas. A 27-year-old woman was ejected from the back seat and killed, while a 10-year-old girl who was also ejected from the back seat sustained minor injuries. A 54-year-old man who was riding in the passenger seat was killed on impact. The man who was driving sustained minor injuries.
A 69-year-old man from Perry, Ga., was riding in the passenger seat of the Cadillac and was also killed on impact. The woman who was driving and another woman in the back seat were seriously injured.
The two injured women were taken by medical helicopter to St. Mary's Hospital in Grand Junction, while others injured in the crash were taken to San Juan Hospital in Monticello and Moab Regional Hospital.
Names of those injured or killed in the crash were not released Friday pending family notification.
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an...
- Fountain Green holds first Christmas light...
- Utah native served with main character in...
- Pranks spark collection of toilet paper by...
- Chugging eggnog at office party lands man in...
- Utahn Merlin Taylor is Santa with a cause
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- West High basketball players work to debate...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 108
- A year later, a look at the Utah... 101
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary... 35
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on... 33
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 23
- What does a letter grade mean for my... 19
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 16