Utah Highway Patrol
MOAB — A destructive crash between four vehicles Friday killed three people on state Route 191 near Moab.
The accident occurred around 3 p.m. about 30 miles south of Moab when a southbound Nissan Maxima attempted to pass a semitrailer in a no-passing zone, striking an oncoming Hyundai Azera, the Utah Highway Patrol reported.
The collision sent the Nissan spinning down the road, where it was struck on the passenger door by a northbound Cadillac DTS, stopping it in the center of the highway. The Cadillac spun off the shoulder and came to a stop.
A northbound Toyota Camry that was travelling behind the Hyundai avoided the collision but was hit by debris. The driver was uninjured.
The four people in the Nissan were all residents of Saginaw, Texas. A 27-year-old woman was ejected from the back seat and killed, while a 10-year-old girl who was also ejected from the back seat sustained minor injuries. A 54-year-old man who was riding in the passenger seat was killed on impact. The man who was driving sustained minor injuries.
A 69-year-old man from Perry, Ga., was riding in the passenger seat of the Cadillac and was also killed on impact. The woman who was driving and another woman in the back seat were seriously injured.
The two injured women were taken by medical helicopter to St. Mary's Hospital in Grand Junction, while others injured in the crash were taken to San Juan Hospital in Monticello and Moab Regional Hospital.
Names of those injured or killed in the crash were not released Friday pending family notification.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay...
- California man drove to Vernal for sex with...
- A photographic look at how Days of '47 floats...
- Utah kids have lower death rate, but more...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 78
- Supporters rally around breast-feeding... 73
- Gov. says Utah will comply with law if... 59
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- $1.8B project to take Salt Lake City... 17
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 17
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 14