In an interview with Time, Steiner-Adair said in her research kids call their parents "hypocrites" for using screens so often while restricting their children's use.
Northwestern University researcher Vicky Rideout reported in June that the vast majority of American adults are logging nearly five hours per day or more — even much, much more.
Rideout found that children mirror their parents. She split 2,300 parents with young children into three groups — media-centric, media-moderate and media-light. She could have labeled the first category "media-drenched," because this group, representing about 40 percent of the parents, averaged 11 hours a day of screen time between computers, phones, tablets, games and movies. Their children averaged nearly five hours of screen time daily.
The moderate parents, 45 percent, averaged nearly five hours per day while their children averaged nearly three. The last 16 percent of parents averaged less than two hours of screen time a day; their children averaged nearly the same amount.
Steiner-Adair said the catalyst for writing “The Big Disconnect” came from her work traveling the country as a school consultant, something she’s done for the past 25 years.
“I look at cultural values and norms that undermine children’s healthy development and I look at how to strengthen parent-child relationships,” she said. “I look at curriculum and how schools design programs to give to give children the social and emotional tools as well as the academic tools to stay healthy in today’s world.”
- The Clean Cut: 3-year-old boy performs 'Do...
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a hobby,...
- The Clean Cut: Child plays peekaboo with...
- Nonprofit intervention program in Arizona...
- Family of teenage girl with burns on 65...
- After having a baby, dad's brain changes too
- Baby boomers are not selling off homes, but...
- UTubers: Hailey Devine takes fans to Fiji
- Why do we need an R-rated Hobbit movie? 18
- Want your marriage to last? Have... 13
- Want to improve your marriage? Get a... 11
- As Common Core results trickle in,... 8
- The Clean Cut: Children taste dark... 3
- Baby boomers are not selling off homes,... 3
- Intuition: The sweet spot between... 2
- 13-year-old keeps dad alive after he... 2