9-year-old girl killed after wind gust tosses backyard trampoline
PANGUITCH — A 9-year-old girl has died from her injuries after a backyard trampoline she was sitting on was carried about 50 yards by a gust of wind.
Oaklee Sidwell died Wednesday morning from injuries sustained in the bizarre accident, said Cheryl Church, Garfield County sheriff’s spokeswoman. Officials said the trampoline was properly assembled, anchored to the ground and had a safety net attached.
"All the precautions to have a safe trampoline for children to play on were met," Church said. "It was just a freak type thing that happened here, that the wind would come along and pick it up and carry her away."
Oaklee was playing on the trampoline Tuesday afternoon when the other children she was with got off and she sat down to put on her shoes. She was the only child on the trampoline when a wind gust lifted it into the air and carried it approximately 50 yards, Church said.
The girl was taken by ambulance to Garfield Memorial Hospital and then transferred by medical helicopter to Primary Children's Medical Center, where she later died.
"This is a tragedy that has affected the entire county," Church said. "We are so saddened and deeply sorry for what has happened."
An obituary describes Oaklee as an adventurous girl who loved to care for animals. A Zions Bank account has been set up in her name for anyone wishing to assist the family.
— McKenzie Romero
- AF High Band performs with borrowed...
- Alcohol use suspected in Uintah County crash...
- Executive action brings 'temporary relief'...
- Man shot, killed in confrontation with police...
- Teen in Springville family found dead left...
- Photos: Deseret Book winter display yields...
- 5 easy ways to make your money work for you
- For his brothers: American Fork family with 4...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 63
- America needs heroes, Mitt Romney tells... 55
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 55
- Utah business leaders say Congress must... 47
- Executive action brings 'temporary... 45
- Woman wears colander for driver's... 35
- Groups petition for gun bans from... 23
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring,... 22