9-year-old girl killed after wind gust tosses backyard trampoline
PANGUITCH — A 9-year-old girl has died from her injuries after a backyard trampoline she was sitting on was carried about 50 yards by a gust of wind.
Oaklee Sidwell died Wednesday morning from injuries sustained in the bizarre accident, said Cheryl Church, Garfield County sheriff’s spokeswoman. Officials said the trampoline was properly assembled, anchored to the ground and had a safety net attached.
"All the precautions to have a safe trampoline for children to play on were met," Church said. "It was just a freak type thing that happened here, that the wind would come along and pick it up and carry her away."
Oaklee was playing on the trampoline Tuesday afternoon when the other children she was with got off and she sat down to put on her shoes. She was the only child on the trampoline when a wind gust lifted it into the air and carried it approximately 50 yards, Church said.
The girl was taken by ambulance to Garfield Memorial Hospital and then transferred by medical helicopter to Primary Children's Medical Center, where she later died.
"This is a tragedy that has affected the entire county," Church said. "We are so saddened and deeply sorry for what has happened."
An obituary describes Oaklee as an adventurous girl who loved to care for animals. A Zions Bank account has been set up in her name for anyone wishing to assist the family.
— McKenzie Romero
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Heavy rains flood homes, cemetery in Herriman
- Police probing what caused deaths of...
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex marriage
- Body cam video helps D.A. clear officer in...
- Utahns losing thousands of dollars to phony...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 82
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 38
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 31
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- Granite School District reaches... 20
- 2 Utah companies respond to FDA warning... 18
- Man accused in BYU gropings ordered to... 7