9-year-old girl killed after wind gust tosses backyard trampoline
PANGUITCH — A 9-year-old girl has died from her injuries after a backyard trampoline she was sitting on was carried about 50 yards by a gust of wind.
Oaklee Sidwell died Wednesday morning from injuries sustained in the bizarre accident, said Cheryl Church, Garfield County sheriff’s spokeswoman. Officials said the trampoline was properly assembled, anchored to the ground and had a safety net attached.
"All the precautions to have a safe trampoline for children to play on were met," Church said. "It was just a freak type thing that happened here, that the wind would come along and pick it up and carry her away."
Oaklee was playing on the trampoline Tuesday afternoon when the other children she was with got off and she sat down to put on her shoes. She was the only child on the trampoline when a wind gust lifted it into the air and carried it approximately 50 yards, Church said.
The girl was taken by ambulance to Garfield Memorial Hospital and then transferred by medical helicopter to Primary Children's Medical Center, where she later died.
"This is a tragedy that has affected the entire county," Church said. "We are so saddened and deeply sorry for what has happened."
An obituary describes Oaklee as an adventurous girl who loved to care for animals. A Zions Bank account has been set up in her name for anyone wishing to assist the family.
— McKenzie Romero
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- LDS missionary Mason Wells returns home 37...
- Arches National Park wants to ID those...
- Families need to know of dying decision to...
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah
- Smithfield man stabbed father to death after...
- U.K. doctors embrace e-cigarettes as U.S....
- 7 crazy-awesome natural arches and bridges in...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 51
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah 50
- BYU will buy Provo High School for... 48
- GOP's hard feelings over SB54 play part... 43
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- Council approves policy banning dating... 26
- Report: Spending on charter students... 21