9-year-old girl killed after wind gust tosses backyard trampoline
PANGUITCH — A 9-year-old girl has died from her injuries after a backyard trampoline she was sitting on was carried about 50 yards by a gust of wind.
Oaklee Sidwell died Wednesday morning from injuries sustained in the bizarre accident, said Cheryl Church, Garfield County sheriff’s spokeswoman. Officials said the trampoline was properly assembled, anchored to the ground and had a safety net attached.
"All the precautions to have a safe trampoline for children to play on were met," Church said. "It was just a freak type thing that happened here, that the wind would come along and pick it up and carry her away."
Oaklee was playing on the trampoline Tuesday afternoon when the other children she was with got off and she sat down to put on her shoes. She was the only child on the trampoline when a wind gust lifted it into the air and carried it approximately 50 yards, Church said.
The girl was taken by ambulance to Garfield Memorial Hospital and then transferred by medical helicopter to Primary Children's Medical Center, where she later died.
"This is a tragedy that has affected the entire county," Church said. "We are so saddened and deeply sorry for what has happened."
An obituary describes Oaklee as an adventurous girl who loved to care for animals. A Zions Bank account has been set up in her name for anyone wishing to assist the family.
— McKenzie Romero
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- Searchers locate missing family of Olympian...
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake...
- Healing souls, healing a mountain
- Draper man dies from injuries in house explosion
- Man seeks video of 1995 Oklahoma City...
- Salt Lake bike share program doubles in size
- 2 killed in Uintah County crash identified as...
- Federal land managers criticized over... 24
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 18
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 16
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 14
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- Ogden police shoot dog that was... 10
- Satellites track drought-driven... 9
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 9