Orem woman, 56, dies while hiking in Garfield County
Ravell Call, Deseret News
CAPITOL REEF NATIONAL PARK — A 56-year-old Orem woman died Thursday while hiking in Garfield County.
The woman was on the Brimhall Double Bridge trail with her husband when she "began experiencing medical problems," Garfield County sheriff's spokeswoman Cheryl Church said. The woman's husband drove to the nearest town of Boulder to find help, but when he returned with emergency personnel, the woman had already died.
Church said the couple had water, but it most likely wasn't enough for the conditions.
"It was a rigorous hike with a lot of heat," she explained.
The woman's body was recovered from the trail by officers from Garfield County and Glen Canyon National Recreation Area. It is believed she died from heat exhaustion, though the Utah State Medical Examiner's Office will determine the official cause of death.
Sheriff's officials have not yet released the name the woman, pending notification of family.
This is at least the second death caused by heat while hiking in Utah this year. A 27-year-old Arizona woman died from heat-related stress while hiking The Wave near Kanab last month.
"The Garfield County Sheriff’s Office would like to strongly remind people that hiking in the desert heat can be deadly," Church said. "Prepare by bringing the adequate amount of water necessary to hike in extreme heat and extreme hiking conditions."
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking...
- Police stumped about what caused Springville...
- Granite School District reaches agreement...
- Heavy rains flood homes, cemetery in Herriman
- Police probing what caused deaths of...
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex marriage
- Utahns losing thousands of dollars to phony...
- Eagle Mountain residents told not to use city...
- Students rally for beard 'revolution'... 78
- Utah gay marriage case first in line at... 57
- Mia Love declines to make joint... 50
- Romney, Huntsman may both be taking... 37
- Coast-to-coast horseback ride against... 30
- Utah in wait-and-see mode on same-sex... 29
- Granite School District reaches... 20
- 2 Utah companies respond to FDA warning... 18