Orem woman, 56, dies while hiking in Garfield County
Ravell Call, Deseret News
CAPITOL REEF NATIONAL PARK — A 56-year-old Orem woman died Thursday while hiking in Garfield County.
The woman was on the Brimhall Double Bridge trail with her husband when she "began experiencing medical problems," Garfield County sheriff's spokeswoman Cheryl Church said. The woman's husband drove to the nearest town of Boulder to find help, but when he returned with emergency personnel, the woman had already died.
Church said the couple had water, but it most likely wasn't enough for the conditions.
"It was a rigorous hike with a lot of heat," she explained.
The woman's body was recovered from the trail by officers from Garfield County and Glen Canyon National Recreation Area. It is believed she died from heat exhaustion, though the Utah State Medical Examiner's Office will determine the official cause of death.
Sheriff's officials have not yet released the name the woman, pending notification of family.
This is at least the second death caused by heat while hiking in Utah this year. A 27-year-old Arizona woman died from heat-related stress while hiking The Wave near Kanab last month.
"The Garfield County Sheriff’s Office would like to strongly remind people that hiking in the desert heat can be deadly," Church said. "Prepare by bringing the adequate amount of water necessary to hike in extreme heat and extreme hiking conditions."
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please return...
- Rally in support of police also draws counter...
- Bringing joy through simple acts of kindness
- Park City police nab pair suspected of...
- Fire at Little America Hotel forces overnight...
- Baby's first Christmas comes with gift of hope
- Gary (and Rose) Neeleman: Q and A with a...
- Police seek your help finding man, woman in...
- Hatch 'sorry to see' Lee called an... 131
- List of potential prison sites cut to... 44
- Rally in support of police also draws... 34
- Poll: Nearly two-thirds of Utahns... 29
- Doug Robinson: Advocate's plea: Please... 20
- Mia Love names KSL reporter to head... 19
- Police: Gunman said he shot at trooper... 13
- Judge issues summons for 'Super Dell' 9