Orem woman, 56, dies while hiking in Garfield County
Ravell Call, Deseret News
CAPITOL REEF NATIONAL PARK — A 56-year-old Orem woman died Thursday while hiking in Garfield County.
The woman was on the Brimhall Double Bridge trail with her husband when she "began experiencing medical problems," Garfield County sheriff's spokeswoman Cheryl Church said. The woman's husband drove to the nearest town of Boulder to find help, but when he returned with emergency personnel, the woman had already died.
Church said the couple had water, but it most likely wasn't enough for the conditions.
"It was a rigorous hike with a lot of heat," she explained.
The woman's body was recovered from the trail by officers from Garfield County and Glen Canyon National Recreation Area. It is believed she died from heat exhaustion, though the Utah State Medical Examiner's Office will determine the official cause of death.
Sheriff's officials have not yet released the name the woman, pending notification of family.
This is at least the second death caused by heat while hiking in Utah this year. A 27-year-old Arizona woman died from heat-related stress while hiking The Wave near Kanab last month.
"The Garfield County Sheriff’s Office would like to strongly remind people that hiking in the desert heat can be deadly," Church said. "Prepare by bringing the adequate amount of water necessary to hike in extreme heat and extreme hiking conditions."
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain from...
- Smithfield teen makes Valentine's Day special...
- Scalia's death leaves major void in high...
- Giant Kennecott dump trucks are sporting an...
- France bestows highest honor on Utah veteran
- 3 seriously injured in multi-vehicle crash on...
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- Millcreek man found dead near Saltair was...
- Utah delegation urges Obama to refrain... 38
- Manti man indicted in Oregon... 36
- IRS raids properties with possible... 21
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- State: EPA didn't clue in Utah on San... 12
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 11
- Cheerleaders for Medicaid expansion ask... 9