Region 4 preview: Lone Peak the team to beat in region
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
Region 4, like other regions, underwent some slight changes after offseason realignment but appears to be as tough as ever for 2013. Coaches have dubbed the region as the “SEC” of Utah prep regions, and the moniker should hold despite the loss of the region’s biggest bully, Bingham.
Lone Peak takes Bingham’s traditional spot, in region, as the team everyone pegged as the favorite despite big changes within the program.
Mike Mower replaces Tony McGeary, who resigned as head coach amidst allegations of rule violations, as Lone Peak's head coach.
“It’s not an easy thing to take over for a great coach like Tony McGeary and try and maintain what he built and maybe even improve on it a bit,” Mower said. “Coach McGeary did so much for this program, and it’s a tough responsibility to follow him up — that’s for sure. But I love the challenge and I love the opportunity.”
Lone Peak will be led by quarterback Baron Gajkowski, who proved to be one of the top playmakers in the entire state last season.
"They're the team to beat, no question," said new Westlake coach Steve Clements about Lone Peak. "I think it's pretty much Lone Peak and then everyone else this year, but wow, you have a lot of tough teams in this region — no question."
Most peg Pleasant Grove the team to most likely take Lone Peak's top designation away by season's end. The Vikings return an impressive roster of playmakers and linemen ready to compete for the region crown.
"We're feeling real good about our chances," said Pleasant Grove coach Les Hamilton. "I think we should be strong at most key positions, and I think this is a team that has a good attitude and work ethic."
New to the region are Westlake and Herriman, both of whom made the leap from 4A to 5A in the offseason.
"I know that Herriman is a rising program, and even though they had some big coaching changes, we think they'll be as tough as anyone," Hamilton said. "I don't know Westlake as well, but I definitely know coach Clements. He's a great coach and he'll have that program going — if not this year, then very soon. Both teams are tough, and we look forward to competing with them."
Region stalwarts American Fork and Riverton are stocked with returning talent and promising playmakers.
"I definitely see American Fork being improved and Riverton — that team is always tough, no matter what," Mower said. "Coach (Mike) Miller does a great job there and coach (Aaron) Behm, he'll have American Fork going. Both will be extremely tough, and I think Lehi is going to be improved."
The Pioneers have struggled in recent years but hope to finally make some noise.
“The region we play in is brutal, but that’s where we’re at and we like it here. We like proving ourselves against the best,” said Lehi coach David Hastings. “I believe we’re improving, and I believe we’re making the necessary strides here to compete in region — and it starts this season.”
Deseret News projections for Region 4 football teams in 2013
(Preseason rankings are based on coaches’ votes)
1. Lone Peak: The Knights are led by quarterback Baron Gajkowski, who accumulated 3,359 yards of total offense and 32 touchdowns last season. He'll be joined by an impressive group of receivers and some good talent at running back. Defensively, the Knights will be led by lineman Austin Kruger and Daniel Auelua along with defensive back Matt Criddle. 2012 RECORD: 10-3. PLAYOFFS: Lost 35-14 to Jordan in the semifinals.
- Former UNC coach Dean Smith willed $200 to...
- BYU special teams features some 'mystery and...
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU...
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU rugby...
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL president...
- Utah Jazz assistants (well, two of 'em)...
- NCAA 'service work' has been eye-opening for...
- Morning links: Utes ranked among the...
- Utes to face Duke in the Sweet 16... 207
- BYU looking forward to an influx of... 53
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill is making a... 31
- Guest commentary: Utah Jazz face an... 29
- It's Coach K vs. Coach K as Utah... 22
- Ogden chooses to play as an independent... 20
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 19
- Dick Harmon: Henderson joins other BYU... 19