Brad Rock: Utes' Eccles Football Center is fit for a king ... or blue chip recruit
Arizona’s Lowell-Stevens football facility cost $72 million. It includes ventilated locker room seats.
Same stuff as Utah, except maybe more of it.
Yet both were relatively modest compared to Oregon’s, which includes a 500-pound rug, hand woven in Nepal, Brazilian hardwood floors, magnetic walls that can be written on and locker rooms accessible by biometric thumbprint.
If you must know, there’s also a duck pond.
Total cost: The Ducks aren’t saying. Media reports say the guesstimated cost of $68 million is far too low.
“People will complain,” Oregon athletics director Rob Mullens told the New York Times, “but this is not excessive.”
It’s certainly not — if you’re in the luxury hotel or space travel business.
Otherwise, it’s crazy money.
Still, that’s college football in 2013. The sobering part for Utah is that its facility is spectacular, brilliant and superb, yet will end up about average for the conference. Utah officials insist they aren’t getting into an arms race with anyone.
After one bite of prime rib with horseradish sauce, I have only one thing to say: You could have fooled me.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: @therockmonster; Blog: Rockmonster Unplugged
- BYU football: Cougars to play Washington in...
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes coming...
- Former Cougar Dennis Pitta scores first...
- Utah State football: Aggies will take on No....
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle Whittingham...
- Dick Harmon: John Beck very impressed with...
- Crystal ball commentary: National...
- Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors, Marvin Williams...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 97
- Dick Harmon: Are we spending too much... 62
- Commentary: Long-term success in... 52
- Dick Harmon: How would BYU's Taysom... 46
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 31
- BYU vs. No. 21 UMass live blog:... 27
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 27